Small Bathroom Flip - SFR in Scranton PA

14 Replies

I'm currently doing a live-in flip in a SFR and I thought I'd share my first bathroom renovation. I spent around $1000 on all materials and did the labor myself (except for the tub plumbing), including adding ventilation and insulation/drywall.

Materials: tub and surround, toilet, sink, vanity, mirror, vanity light, mold resistant drywall, GFI outlet, light/fan combo, flooring, paint.

I installed 'luxury vinyl plank' flooring since the bathroom is a high moisture area, which was super easy to install and is holding up well. I left the cast iron pipe exposed and just painted it the same color as the wall. I would never want to move that huge thing. Overall I'm happy with the way the bathroom turned out and stuck close to the budget!

Here are some before and after pics:

Lovely and bright, great job!  

In Europe the pipes are considered an aesthetic element and often left exposed outside the building, so I hear, and I think you've caught that spirit; I love it that you've left the stack out the open.  When people look at a building they enjoy seeing the functional parts, like exposed steel beams --- and this.  Just my opinion, though.

Quite a minor point but as an uptown commercial plumber I'd put clear acrylic caulking on the joint between toilet and floor, and wipe and wet and wipe your finger and wet with a light spraying mister and repeat until it's a nice smooth 1/8" edge without any blotches around about. If you did then that's a really great job, you must have used Crystal Clear!  Lots of residential work doesn't do this but I think it makes a quality install.  Leave an inch uncaulked in the very back so leaks can be detected sooner than later. 

Curious, What are your purchase and planned rehab costs and expected sale price?  

@Johnna F.

Looks great! That's especially true for spending just around $1,000. How long did it take you to do the labor?

Agree with you on the cast iron pipe. It's common in the area and I don't think there's much you can do about it without incurring a lot of costs. :/ 

Disclaimer: While I’m an attorney licensed to practice in PA, I’m not your attorney. What I wrote above does not create an attorney/client relationship between us. I wrote the above for informational purposes. Do not rely on it for legal advice. Always consult with your attorney before you rely on the above information.

Originally posted by @Thomas C Veatch :

Lovely and bright, great job!  

In Europe the pipes are considered an aesthetic element and often left exposed outside the building, so I hear, and I think you've caught that spirit; I love it that you've left the stack out the open.  When people look at a building they enjoy seeing the functional parts, like exposed steel beams --- and this.  Just my opinion, though.

Quite a minor point but as an uptown commercial plumber I'd put clear acrylic caulking on the joint between toilet and floor, and wipe and wet and wipe your finger and wet with a light spraying mister and repeat until it's a nice smooth 1/8" edge without any blotches around about. If you did then that's a really great job, you must have used Crystal Clear!  Lots of residential work doesn't do this but I think it makes a quality install.  Leave an inch uncaulked in the very back so leaks can be detected sooner than later. 

Curious, What are your purchase and planned rehab costs and expected sale price?  

Thanks! That's a good tip about the caulking, especially checking for leaks in the back. This is the first time I've installed a toilet, so I wasn't sure. The one that was there before was outdated and super low to the ground. It really wasn't too bad of a project after the wax ring was lined up nicely. 

As for expected sale price, I'm not sure. I can't decide whether to sell or hold once I move out, but the property was only 45k, with the city contributing an additional 10k as part of a first time homebuyer program. I haven't gotten it appraised yet, but comps in the area are around 70k.

Originally posted by @Chris K. :

@Johnna F.

Looks great! That's especially true for spending just around $1,000. How long did it take you to do the labor?

Agree with you on the cast iron pipe. It's common in the area and I don't think there's much you can do about it without incurring a lot of costs. :/ 

Disclaimer: While I’m an attorney licensed to practice in PA, I’m not your attorney. What I wrote above does not create an attorney/client relationship between us. I wrote the above for informational purposes. Do not rely on it for legal advice. Always consult with your attorney before you rely on the above information.

If I remember correctly, it took me about 8 weekends to do everything. Mudding the drywall probably took the longest since it's so tedious and I had to let it dry 24 hours between each coat. 

Originally posted by @Thomas C Veatch :

If you can hold it you can still get money out after reappraisal then both collect rent forever and go buy another.

I agree! I'm currently looking into home equity loans. I like that some banks are offering no closing costs. 

Originally posted by @Scott Weaner :

@Johnna F. 

Great job! What is the paint color you used? That is the color family that I have preferred for my rentals.

It was actually a 'mistint' from Lowe's. You can find really affordable paint that way when people don't end up liking the color after it's made. I ended up really loving this one though. It feels bright and welcoming. I'll have to get the color matched sometime. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you