Tubs in shower space, does water not go under tub

7 Replies

I’m looking to remodel a bathroom and seems like the new modern way is a double shower head on both sides with a tub in back. In a small setting does water does seep under tub which could cause a bigger issue? I know you can put some sort of sealer between tub and tile but seems like I haven’t seen that at houses I’ve toured and might take away from the slick look.

Never seen that before, must be higher end than anything I'd look at.

In that scenario the shower is a complete waterproof assembly. The tub looks to just be sitting in the shower area and any water then doesn't go into the tub (and drain through the tub drain) simply flows to the shower drain

Check out the schluter system for a shower like that. The whole inclusure would need a membrane under floor and all wall tiles. It can be done like that. Wouldnt recommend doing a freestanding tub like that though. I would build a knee wall and just do a Roman drop in tub inside of it. Doing the membrane all over the knee wall. Also the floor always gets pitched to the shower drain. 

Thanks,  Yes that's this setup is getting pretty common in certain areas here around Atlanta.  Sorry if I was confusing but my concern was water going underneath the tub but a knee wall would be a a good idea.

Underneath the tub to where the waste pops through the floor you might be able to sleeve it and roll pan or schluter up to the sleeve. Also caulk around outter base of tub. I'm a plumber and personally don't care to do that setup with a freestanding tub they're always a pain to install. If it were my house knee wall and drop in top all the way. 

@Sam P. I can imagine what you are saying, but I haven't seen it yet. Though I have seen a shower with multiple (6) shower heads at different sides and heights. What is wrong with a regular shower or better yet a Roman jetted tub!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you