Skip to content
Land & New Construction

User Stats

Votes
Jorge P.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Jersey City, NJ
Votes |
Learn from Me. Don't Let this Happen to YOU!!

Jorge P.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Jersey City, NJ
Posted Aug 11 2018, 13:04

I'll start off  by saying... I actually LOVE when things like these happen to me because it gives me an opportunity to learn & figure out  the solution to a problem thats common in homes in my market. Now that I know how to solve this issue, Im able to buy properties some may pass on when they encounter it. 

Plot: Plot refers to the sequence of events inside a story which affect other events through the principle of cause and effect

I had just finished remodeling the last apt in my latest multifamily rental property. The apt & property were officially tenant ready (so I thought) and I decided to take a 2 week vacation to compansate myself for the work well done.  

I leave. I come back & this is what I find when I walk into the apt: (warning! Scary pictures below)

I had a mixed of emotions run through my head, when I saw mold growing on the brand new doors I had installed.  (Shocked, Scared, Upset, frustrated, confused , Sad (lol) & Curious.)

My last emotion is one I consciously choose when I encounter a problem, in order to get into "Action mode". I asked myself the question:

WHY was MOLD growing in my brand NEW Rental!? WHY God! WHY!!? -  I needed to understand it. So, I got on google & started researching .  The answer to my question. Humidity.

WHAT I LEARNED ABOUT MOLD: 

Mold will start to grow in any indoor environment where the humidity level is at or above 50% for an extended amount of time. 

With that said, I needed to find out what was the Humidity level in the apt. I bought a Hygrometer, which revealed the humidity level in my apt to be 71%!.  (Mold haven)

My goal then was to stop the mold from growing, spreading & prevent it from growing again. 

MY SOLUTION: 

1.Kill/remove the current mold by using a mold remover spray , letting it sit for 2 hrs then scrubbing it off. 

2. Bring the humidity level below 50% to stop & prevent mold from growing. I bought 3 dehumidifiers and had them run. After 20 min. the humidity level dropped to 65% 😁. These humidifier would turn off when it reaches the desired humidity & on when humidity levels increase. (I set it to 40%).

As long as I  keep the humidity level below 50%, the mold won't come back.  The apt is currently being retouched & should be ready to rent in 3 weeks time.  The real problem however was not the mold. Ask me about the real problem and how I solved it in 2 weeks 😁

Sorry for the long post, I hope you found it informative. 

Loading replies...