• Rental Property Investor
  • Wiesbaden, Hesse
Votes |
ROI for vinyl planking everywhere on a new duplex in Houston

Tim Greenfield
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Wiesbaden, Hesse
Posted Aug 13 2018, 23:46

Good Morning! I am currently in the final part of a "new" building duplex in Houston. The first new build I have been involved with. With other SFH rehabs in other parts of the country I have had vinyl planking installed in the bedrooms whenever possible. I would like to do the same with this duplex and have no carpet. This will come at additional cost from what I was originally quoted. Builder states that the normal vinyl planking is throughout living areas except bedrooms and stairs for a cost of $5,884.19 for each side or $11,768.38 total. If I want vinyl planking throughout the entire house except for stairs it is $8,592.89 or $17,185.78 total, for the entire house each side is $9,519.51 or $19,039.02 total.

Total cost for entire duplex (both sides):

Normal regular install with carpet in the Bedroom: $11,768.38

Everything with Planking except stairs: $17,185.78 or $5,417.40 extra

Everything including stairs: $19,039.02 or $7,270.64 extra

The carpet installation for both sides is $2,632.48 for the Normal install.

For a long term buy and hold I am still leaning towards the planking of everything. Or do I consider this after several years of renting and then change out later once I build up CAPEX. I do not know the normal wear and tear time frame for carpeting in the bedrooms and stairs? 5 years or 10 years. Not sure but I a thinking that it may be cheaper to do it now than later.

But as this is my first new build, I would like to hear from some of you with more experience in this area and your thoughts.

I appreciate the feedback and have a great day!

V/r

Tim

Loading replies...