Cost-plus general contractors?

5 Replies

Hi BPers

We are looking to do a significant remodel of our primary residence  (a 1400 sqft addition plus remodeling of most of the house) but are having difficulty finding a GC that uses cost-plus rather than fixed pricing.  I'd greatly appreciate any recommendations in the San Antonio or New Braunfels area that use cost-plus.  Thanks!

@Rachel A.  Good luck with that one .  Ask yourself this , would you work for less money ?  General contractors are in business to maximize their profits , cost plus doesnt accomplish this .  Even if you found a GC that would , all they will do is bump up what they pay their subs , and when they buy materials at the supply house the invoice will be retail their discount will be on another ticket .  The GC will make the same either way

Thanks @Matthew Paul for the response.  I am well aware that it is more profitable to do fixed pricing vs cost plus; but I also know there are honest and transparent GCs out there that wouldn't do what you described.  I worked with one previously in another city that was one of the most honest and transparent people I've ever met.  Unfortunately, he's 6 hours away.  My project is significant enough that a GC will make a sizable profit even with cost plus.  I am also aware that I'm searching for a "unicorn", but maybe, just maybe, someone in my area has a recommendation.  That's why I posted the request.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you