Should I add a room to each side of my 1/1 duplex?

4 Replies

Should we add a room? Background: We are in contract on our first duplex. It's a 1/1 each side with a full basement. We are looking to add some value to the place and we were thinking of how we could add a room. So my thought was add an ingress/egress basement window and make a bedroom downstairs. Next steps: Seems a bit unique so I'm not sure how much I could bump the rent. Does it count as a 2/1 rental or somewhere between? Need to get a decent ROI on the add if I go through the work. Thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

You’re on the right track; comp it yourselves. Pretend you’re looking for a 2 bedroom rental and compare what you see with what you could create. The bathroom in the basement isn’t necessary. Second bedroom is very important for increasing demand. 

And I say: try to do it yourself! The work, that is. I’m teaching my teens (boys and girls) how to cut in a window, add a light fixture...

@Bill Ernst thanks for the info. I think I could do most if not at all. Just have to learn how to tie it into the foundation. Just a bit different then framing a window in a wall. I'll have to do some digging to see if there is a decent bump from 1/1 to 2/1 in my area. Thanks for the advice Bill!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you