Roofing question...strip the old or roll right?

13 Replies

What are the thoughts on shingling over a layer of existing shingles?  The roofers I have used always try to discourage me from doing it, but if your decking is all sound and the existing shingles are still laying pretty flat is there really any downside to it?  It would certainly save a tremendous amount of mess.

Originally posted by @Josh Turner :

What are the thoughts on shingling over a layer of existing shingles?  The roofers I have used always try to discourage me from doing it, but if your decking is all sound and the existing shingles are still laying pretty flat is there really any downside to it?  It would certainly save a tremendous amount of mess.

Are you talking clay shingles? I don't know on that one but if it is normal 3 tab or typical composite shingles, I always put a layer on top unless it exceeds local code. Here, we have to do a "tear off" after 2 layers, can't put a third one on. There may be no restriction where you are.  There is a neat estimator at 

https://www.roofcalc.org/

@Josh Turner I am a licensed roofer and love doing roofovers... big money saver and works fine...people discourage it because it is less profitable...there is no evidence or facts that it harms anything. And it Florida it is code approved and accepted by insurance. I only do roofovers on my rentals.
I own a roofing company and do over 600 roofs a year. And even on my own roofs I would never roof over ever. Tear off the existing weight install. See if theres anything that needs to be addressed and install proper felt, etc shingles. And if you get a warranty it wont cover going over.

Here in Tx when to sell must mention in the seller disclosure if you are aware of more than one layer of shingles installed on the roof...looks like they dont like it for some reason.

Check with your agent or with an inspector to know the down side

Yep...so sort of mixed feelings on it as I expected.  Personally I'm not sure that I would ever do it on my own residence, but it doesn't seem like a bad solution for rental properties where every penny is being pinched as @Mark Fries suggested.  Thanks for the info.

Yep...so sort of mixed feelings on it as I expected.  Personally I'm not sure that I would ever do it on my own residence, but it doesn't seem like a bad solution for rental properties where every penny is being pinched as @Mark Fries suggested.  Thanks for the info.

in maine we have added risk and weight of snow and ice. risky add more weight to aging roof. ive done both. but prefer rentals get metal roofs so no build up no replacement for 30-50 years. btw 1 inch ice equals 12 inch fresh snow.  Saturated snow weighs about 20 lbs./cubic foot. ... (S)1.25 = P, where (S) is the number of inches of snow on yourroof, and P is the pounds per square foot of that snow. adds up fast

DONT DO IT. D-O-N-T D-O I-T. They may be fine now, but in the summer the heat gets through the first layer of shingles and the second layer will eventually curl, causing flat pockets of water to form that will eventually leak down through and destroy the sheathing and the rafters/drywall underneath. Having to completely redo the roof on a friend's addition that's only ten years old because they did this. Take the time and CapEx hit, do it right. You'll pay twice as much to fix the problems later. 

paper under has a finite life. It creates holes with the heat. Need to remove all and possibly more....

In our area if you overlay a shingle it will not pass permit inspection.

Yeah I have to agree on the short sided comment.  Friend of mine did a second layer on a roof about 8 years ago and I stopped by to scope it out.  New layer definitely doesn't lay as flat as it should...old shingles are pushing up on the new ones in spots.  

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you