Bathroom Renovation - 3 BR 1879 Duplex

5 Replies

I have a bathroom in an 1879 duplex (3 bed, 2 bath) I am renovating. My plan is to: 

- Take out the clawfoot tub and install a bath/ shower combo with a manufactured surround (for water tightness and ease of cleaning). There isn't room for a separate tub and shower. 

- Remove the sheet good floor and install a tile floor (for a higher end look appropriate to the details of the house). 

- Install a new 32" vanity and medicine cabinet (there is a wall mounted sink with separate hot and cold water taps now).

- Reinstall the same toilet. 

- No plans for a tile wainscot on the wall because of cost. I'm thinking about doing a beaded hardboard wainscot for the look, but need to see how the costs end up. 

- Install a motion activated bath fan. 

Am I on the right track? I would very much appreciate your suggestions! I have experience in institutional bathrooms and high end residential bathrooms, but not for the balance in cost and durability that a rental unit requires.

If the building is that old personally I would gut entire bath and change all the plumbing and electric in it will save you in the long term. 

@Kelly Clarke It  sounds pretty standard to me. Older homes have smaller spaces, so just work with what you have. There is nothing wrong with sheet rock walls all the way to the floor. There is a product that I've seen at Lowe's that looks like bead board, but made from PVC (plastic). You would want a chair rail at the top. It looks good, easy cleaning, and easier than tile. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you