Building Inspector - Violation - Single Family - Shedrock Work

4 Replies

Hi Everyone, 

I just want to hear your point of view on the following violation scenario if asking me to pull a building permit is necessary.

Lowell Massachusetts

I got a letter from the building inspector stating that I am in violation. 

Background:

This is my single family that used to live in. I moved out about 6 months ago. 

I am trying to polish the house before selling it. So, I have been working on it over the weekend and late evening with friends helping every now and then. 

I have been painting, patching holes, replaced some shedrock, replace door, code the floor, put new carpet, vinyl floor, bath fitter.. etc

I called and talked to the building inspector to find out how he found out, and he never answered the question. He told me that I am in violation, and the longer I wait, the more fee it will accumulate. He told me that replacing shedrock required me to pull a "building permit". 

I did not change or re-stud or re-fixture anything major. 

I just want to see what everyone though on this.  

Thanks

Not a big chance anyone here will know what your local jurisdiction requires a permit for.  Some inspector likely saw some debris outside the house.

At this point, you need to be the epitome of cooperation.....”sorry, I didn’t realize, what do I need to do.....”, then do it.

@Wayne Brooks thanks Wayne, at this point, I just go through whatever he is requesting. He told me to come by next Tuesday to pull a building permit. So, I guess I just proceed with that. He probably will pull out every wall that I put on. 

@Chan K. Go on your town’s website and read the building codes. It will let you know what requires a permit. It is likely that a neighbor reported you or they saw the old sheet rock outside. You have to be careful about you dispose of it.

Since a permit was likely required, I would call back and apologize and ask what you can do to fix it. Tell him you were unaware of the requirements.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you