Does it benefit you to work with an Interior Designer?

3 Replies

I’m curious if any of you REIs, who flip and hold single-family homes, find it beneficial to have an Interior Designer on your team?

Someone with connections to designer discounts on materials, relationships with textile vendors, a group of subcontractors, etc seems like they’d be an asset to your team.

Thoughts?

And to be clear, I’m not talking about a Decorator. Most anyone can pick a paint color and some wood floors...

I’m talking about someone who can look at an existing floor plan and completely reconfigure the space while keeping codes, traffic flow, space usage, etc in mind.

Promotion
PPR Note Company
Note Investing
Diversify your portfolio and get completely passive cashflow.
All without tenants, repairs, or vacancies - in a real-estate-backed investment fund.
Here's how.

I think @Kevin Martin touched on this, but if an investor needs an architect already for re-configuring spaces, zoning, egress, wall removal, large changes and/or to get the design to a permit drawing set for filing with Municipality, then it's far less likely for that investor to also hire an interior designer (ID). 

Even being biased as an architect and explaining the above, it's still a process to get investors to see and acknowledge the value of architects. I see IDs having an even bigger hurdle. @Sarah Mason 

Jared Smith, RA

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you