Becoming a builder/Buying land

2 Replies

Hello bigger pockets community,

I been a commercial roofing contractor for over 7 years and I have good construction skills. I've saved up enough money to start my building business. I've read a couple of books on building but I still need advise on finding the lots for construction, how much do they have to be to make it profitable ( I do have a good idea of the costs of building a property) but I need a little push on the "buying the lot" side of things. I been using zillow, realtor.com, etc etc to do my lot hunt. Is there any special tool that I can use to find the new communities? Where the developers have dozens of lots for sale? Any good articles? Or even books you guys recommend?

Any advise will be appreciate it.

I'd suggest if you're going to go that route to look for lots in a area you're fimiliar with. Chances are if you know what it costs to build the place, you can easily find comps to tell you what it would sell for. Look for a lot that can build two or more houses. That way you maximize profit

What area are you looking at? I currently own a 24 acre property that just got annexed into the city. The land is zoned rersidential and can be divided into 8400 sqft lots. The city is having a growth spurt and new homes are selling faster than they are being built which is why the city wanted to annex my property. I'm thinking about getting partners to develop a residential community. The land is in the town of Sedro-Wooley, Wa.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you