Basement Waterproofing Costs

8 Replies

I’m currently in the midst of renovating a property in East Nashville and one of the top priorities is waterproofing the basement. What is the typical process for waterproofing?

What should I make sure my contractor does/does not? What are typical costs for this? Timeline?

Thanks in advanced for any and all feedback!

@Pablo Miguel Hernandez I would recommend getting a free bid from Frontier basement systems.

They do basement and foundation work. Water proofing a basement is not easy. 

There's no way of telling what it will cost or how much work they will have to do. My guess is dig up in front of the foundation and re-apply the rubber type sealant. From there, they will go on the inside and encapsulate the basement-most likely. If the walls are bowing, they might need to add the retention system to pull the wall back in place.

It really depends on the work needed. Could be 5k, could be 25k. 

For reference, the last flip one of my investors did, they just dug up around the house, applied the rubber sealant and new drains. It cost $12k, just for outside work.

Call Frontier basement systems and get a free quote. They do good work. 

Getting bids from professional companies is the best thing to do, considering this is your first time and you're learning too. 

I'm not sure what the basement looks like now but if you strip it down to bare concrete you can do your best to seal it that way. It won't be as promising as digging on the outside, but it won't be as expensive either. 

@Pablo Miguel Hernandez

I would stay away from contractors that don't specialize in Basement/Foundation work. 

Water is tricky and basements can be your worst nightmare. 

Originally posted by @Pablo Miguel Hernandez:

Thanks @Luka Milicevic and @Daniella Sanchez

I have gotten a couple of quotes and both came back around $10k. Still looking around and will contact Frontier Basement Systems as well! 

Just out of curiosity, what kind of work are they including in this bid? 

Thanks @Luka Milicevic - I've had a couple of companies that specialize in basement/foundation repair - Frontier Basement Systems, USS and R1 of Middle TN. 

Update @Daniella Sanchez - we just had a structural engineer come out and give us an idea of what work is required, the wall that I need fixed in the basement is bulging out about 3 inches so it either needs a couple of steal beams set up so that it doesn't keep moving OR replace the wall entirely...

The bids I'd gotten were mainly for water proofing the basement.. sealing cracks, installing pipes to channel the water elsewhere, etc. Waiting to hear from the SE to get a scope of work and share with the contractors.. I'll update once that happens. 

Thanks again! 

one of my businesses is basement repair/waterproofing...it sounds like the cheapest solution (which will also work as opposed to cheap that costs more later) is an interior weeping system to relieve the hydrostatic pressure which created the problem and then a vertical I beam buttressing system. You will probably be around 10 grand.. but that varies greatly geographically 

We're located in Syracuse and if we're doing a foundation repair we will charge anywhere from $110-$120 sq/ft for an interior repair. This would include cutting in a new french drain, sump pump & wiring, weep holes, and an encapsulation like drylock. A lot of the older homes have drainage tile or some sort of drainage but they clog up overtime and become inefficient. If your basement is not finished and you just want a clean, dry basement then having an interior system put in is perfectly fine. If you're going to finish the basement you will want both. We just ripped out an entire basement movie theatre because there was mold everywhere, very bad situation for the homeowner. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you