Contractor had a emergency

1 Reply

I had a contractor who I meet through another investor who had some work done by him on a house on the same street.

The contractor gave me a good price, I paid him 350 for material and 500 for labor to get started and the remaining balance of $700 would be paid on completion.

2 days into the work he called me and said his brother was murdered and he could no longer finish the job.

I was very sympathetic because I was dealing with a passing just the day before, I told him I would get back with him in a few days because I liked his work and wanted him to finish the job when he is ready. I told him I would call him in a few days.

I waited the weekend 3 days and called Monday afternoon and got no answer. I left a voicemail and text, but have not received any communication back in 2 days.

How long do I wait before moving on?

What do I do about the money I already paid?

I’m not upset if he just disappears because he did finish 3 out of 7 rooms.

Looking for some feedback, advice, and your personal experiences.

Have you had a terrible experience? Tell me more.

I would expect your contractor may need a little more time to heal and assist with any family obligations.  My guess would be at least a week or two and it could be even more depending how much involvement he has in his brother's estate and if he's inherited additional responsibilities now.  He's going to need more time but if your pressed for it you may need to find another contractor to wrap up the project and settle up with your first contractor when they are back to work.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you