Bathroom Remodel Issues. What would you do? What would you pay?

29 Replies

So, it came time to remodel my downstairs apartment how to get this done quickly so I ended up using a contractor to replace my tub & walls. It's not a full "rebath" as the old tub was removed and they used "acrylic " walls. Essentially they glued a sheet onto a wall. So, end of the 14 hour day. I'm left with this.

Seal at the top of the wall Window trim, seems like the guy cant cut 90*

Window trim, water side the "cut & seal" around the window bar the top corner of the wall the room as a whole. Note the bend in light over the left side of the bar, the entire wall "squishes" During remodel

Essentially I told them I wouldn't song any finance paperwork until it was rectified. The walls "look" like a stone, however the bead wasn't spread around so there's waves and squishes when you press on it. Not by much,  A simple tooth trowel would have stopped this from occurring.  However the ops manager, when he came out said "this is manufacturer standard"

What would you do? would you even pay anything till it was done?

Also, in case you wanted to know, it was $10,000.00 for that.......

It's not the manufacturer standard - it was an excuse to have you accept the unacceptable.  No, I would not pay and that would be the last time the ops manager set foot in my property. I would find out who the owner is and send him/her the photos and ask when a more experienced contractor would be available to right what is wrong and finish the job.  And, don't forget the power of the BBB.  The Better Business Bureau will reach out to the company and gauge their willingness/ability to satisfy the complaint. What they left you with isn't the cruise you signed up for...don't pay.

For a bathroom that size...I usually pay $8k to redo the whole bathroom...floor, toilet, vanity, tub, tiles, light and fixtures. Im in a similarly priced market to you.

John, 

In the future, you might want to think about pre-vetting your contractors by asking for 3 or 4 recent jobs they have done that are similar in scope and price, and also ask for a couple of current jobs they are working on.

Call the previous jobs and ask about the work quality, and the owners overall experience with the contractor, and visit the job sites where they are currently working to see the quality of workmanship.

It's a lot of work and time, but $10,000 (I assume you had bids) (and assume it's the going price in Abington for this time of year) is a lot of money, and unpaid contractors have a habit of placing a lien on the property that must be satisfied to sell it.

Good Luck!

We usually do them ourselves (5 in the last 18 months) & I would not accept the job they did for you.

For the last one we were facing a <1 week turnover on a $1600/month SFR. The thrice resurfaced 1960's solid cast iron tub was peeling AGAIN & the old small black & red tile & shower/tub fixtures etc were an antique corroded leaking mess. The flooring, 60" vanity, faucets, lighting, toilet etc had been updated a year earlier.

So my wife & DIL decided to go with Bath-fitter for a guaranteed 1 day turn around. It included all new drains & O/flow from the tub, all new shower/tub fixtures, a code required expansion tank @ the HW tank & a code required back flow valve at the water meter. 

$4,900 & they did an amazing job.

The finishing is not good.  Even if the caulking had been done right, it would have hid a lot of the problems around the edges.  If all of it looked like the corner bead in the top photo, you'd be fine, but the horizontal one...well I could have done better than that.

Originally posted by @Patricia Steiner :

It's not the manufacturer standard - it was an excuse to have you accept the unacceptable.  No, I would not pay and that would be the last time the ops manager set foot in my property. I would find out who the owner is and send him/her the photos and ask when a more experienced contractor would be available to right what is wrong and finish the job.  And, don't forget the power of the BBB.  The Better Business Bureau will reach out to the company and gauge their willingness/ability to satisfy the complaint. What they left you with isn't the cruise you signed up for...don't pay.

The owner seems pretty willing to fix it, the ops guy on the other hand is just "that's manufacturer protocol" attitude really set me off. If the end result is better, I intend to write a positive review. If it goes the other way, It's self explanatory. 

Originally posted by @Scott Mac :

John, 

In the future, you might want to think about pre-vetting your contractors by asking for 3 or 4 recent jobs they have done that are similar in scope and price, and also ask for a couple of current jobs they are working on.

Call the previous jobs and ask about the work quality, and the owners overall experience with the contractor, and visit the job sites where they are currently working to see the quality of workmanship.

It's a lot of work and time, but $10,000 (I assume you had bids) (and assume it's the going price in Abington for this time of year) is a lot of money, and unpaid contractors have a habit of placing a lien on the property that must be satisfied to sell it.

Good Luck!

Yeah, I had a few people swing by and they actually cost more than the competition. They just showed a better product. However, the end result is this trash. Also, they can put a lien on it, I'm looking at riding this till the wheels fall off. Prices are up 9% this year and growth is at 3% so I'm probably safe for a few years. I'm sure they'll be out of business before I sell if they keep this up.

I wouldn't pay for that because its unacceptable.  Job wasn't done right. The trimming is lousy, wall boards bounce, large gaps...detail is horrible.

In NYC i could get a total gut job and have installed: Proper sheetrock & durock wall backing, a new shower body with single lever handle & spout, porcelain floor tiles throughout, porcelain wall tiles surrounding the tub to ceiling height, tub, sink, new vanity, baseboard, prime and paint and 2 light fixtures for 10-13K. 

$1000 for the tub and surround materials cost. 2 days labor strip to stud, mount everything direct to stud. Generous labor fee of $2000.

You got played hard. 

I hope like heck they ain't gluing that to those tiles. That's a failure from the get go, and you will NEVER get them to honor any warranty. Far from industry standard workmanship.

Originally posted by @Pat L. :
Originally posted by @Bill Kramer:

You got played hard. 

You said it VERY politely !!!

F. The craziest part, thats pretty average in MA for this. I had a few contractors come out and it was between 6-12K for the same stuff. 

Originally posted by @John Kaspar :
Originally posted by @Pat L.:

You got played hard. 

F. The craziest part, thats pretty average in MA for this. I had a few contractors come out and it was between 6-12K for the same stuff. 

That's one heck of an o/head to deal with. My live-in maintenance guy did a complete bathroom rehab for me for $800 in labor as I had a blown meniscus at the time. It included stripping it to the studs then installing everything, plumbing, all tile flooring & tub surround. I paid for the materials & it's about the 5th he has done for me.

Originally posted by @Pat L. :
Originally posted by @John Kaspar:
Originally posted by @Pat L.:

You got played hard. 

That's one heck of an o/head to deal with. My live-in maintenance guy did a complete bathroom rehab for me for $800 in labor as I had a blown meniscus at the time. It included stripping it to the studs then installing everything, plumbing, all tile flooring & tub surround. I paid for the materials & it's about the 5th he has done for me.

On my next one, wanna send him to MA? Ill pay for his trip & housing :/

Good salesmanship on the contractor though. Here, its $3k to swap out a tub/surround and do associated drywall/paint work. 

You would have to actively try to spend more than $5k in a bathroom. Like, tile everything or curbless shower. 

And yes, for $10k I will travel to MA, been wanting to see that part of the country anyways haha.

Originally posted by @Bill Kramer :

Good salesmanship on the contractor though. Here, its $3k to swap out a tub/surround and do associated drywall/paint work. 

You would have to actively try to spend more than $5k in a bathroom. Like, tile everything or curbless shower. 

d

And yes, for $10k I will travel to MA, been wanting to see that part of the country anyways haha.

dead serious, ill fly someone out.

Wow, that should be $1500 in labor max. Material cost shouldn't be more than $2/square feet for about 77 square feet of file, $150, and then the tub $150 ish for the tub

Did you get any other bids? I know labor costs here in Arizona are going to be a little less but not that much less

How much have you paid him? Besides just the fact that he 100% ripped you off in pricing, that job quality is no where near acceptable

Originally posted by @Dustin P. :

Wow, that should be $1500 in labor max. Material cost shouldn't be more than $2/square feet for about 77 square feet of file, $150, and then the tub $150 ish for the tub

Did you get any other bids? I know labor costs here in Arizona are going to be a little less but not that much less

How much have you paid him? Besides just the fact that he 100% ripped you off in pricing, that job quality is no where near acceptable

Unfortunately I used a financing company, however I called them and they told me if it was never resolved to call them.

I really intend to write the most honest review when they finish up. 

The owner offered me "a check from marketing"  to give me a partial refund, if I "give him a good review"

sure boss,

well see how this check goes.                     

Originally posted by @Dustin P. :

@John Kaspar That's a tough one because you'll be getting a partial rehab but at the expense of telling other people they did a get job and then someone else getting snaked.

Yup, Realistically, there's probably no amount of money to "fix" this. Even at free, I wouldn't be happy with the outcome. Was sold one thing, received another. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you