General Contractor for Rehabs

10 Replies

Hello all, when finding a general contractor for rehabs, what are the main qualifications that you look for a contractor should have?  I am not totally up to snuff on what repairs/materials should cost and am totally relying on the contractor to be upfront and honest. I will be meeting with a few in the next week to "qualify" them and to hopefully find a couple that I can start a long positive business relationship with. Thanks!

Please do not solicit other members in this thread or ask them to message you, it is against forum rules and your terms of service you agreed to by becoming a member here, we have already had to remove several posts and if it continues, the thread will be shut down.

@Barry Tuia to answer your last question, it depends on you and the contractor. When I started out, I did my flips acting as my own GC and I hired each individual sub. Even though I did not know exactly what I was doing, I learned a lot and was lucky enough to be doing it in a prime market where I couldn’t go wrong. I purchased my own materials, set up accounts with Home Depot, Lowe’s, and other materials suppliers, and hired out labor. In some cases, when you have a good contractor, they can get pricing much better than you can. For example, if I was your contractor and this project was local to my area, I could likely get the labor and materials completed for a price that would be equal to or less than what you could get it for on your own and then you would, in essence, be getting an experienced project manager/contractor to handle all the aspects of your rehab project for relatively the same price. That said, this is not easy to find, particularly when you are starting out.

So, my advice is to decide how active you want to be in this and future projects, then base your decision on that. If you wish to be heavily active, I suggest you go down the road I did so you can not only learn, but potentially make more money by saving on some costs.

Some contractors will not do labor only and will only do the job if they provide the materials so keep that in mind to.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you