• San Diego, CA
Votes |
New California ADU bills and design

Oscar Miguel
Pro Member
  • San Diego, CA
Posted Dec 3 2019, 07:46

Hello all!

I recently purchased a duplex to house hack. It’s comprised of two Detached buildings: 3bd 2ba front unit and a two story 2bd 1ba in the rear with three individual garages on the first floor and alley access.

It’s a great set up as our home feels like a single family lot and with it being 10 blocks from the ocean in San Diego area, I will have multiple options on what to do with the property after my year living there.

I recently spoke with the city about taking two of the three garages and building a 550 sq ft, 1bd 1ba downstairs unit. I figured that with the new bills passing I may stand a shot. Currently my lot is zoned for two units. They were very nice and easy to speak with. Problem is the bills are so new, they are also getting up to speed along with us, and couldn’t give me a definitive answer or direction. They recommended I speak with an architect or designer and submit a design come January 1, 2020.

I’m wondering if anyone has experience getting ahead of these new bills to add units to their properties? Any advice on how to nest proceed would be greatly appreciated!!

Loading replies...