I have a home in the Denver area that I bought recently. I am looking to add a kitchen to the basement and add a door to separate the top and bottom levels. I do not want permits if I can avoid it as we want a quick turn around.
What are the potential risks of not getting permits? The project will include rough in plumbing and electrical and an upgraded electrical panel.
Thanks in advance for the support!
Yes, get the work permitted. There are a handful of risks including but not limited to:
1. Someone reports you while you're doing this work and the building inspectors show up and make you tear everything out.
2. Someone gets injured or there is major damage to the home and insurance denies your claim.
3. None of the value of your work is retained when you go to sell the home.
4. You do something that causes major damage to your property.
5. You get reported for non-conforming use of the property and get daily fines until the use is rectified.
6. You go to get legitimately permitted work done and the building inspectors find your unpermitted work when they arrive and make you tear it all out.
I always recommend permits. However I don't think Denver will allow you to do what you're trying to do. They won't want to see 2 units there. Make a "man cave" and leave out the range.
Agree with the above: get the work permitted. It protects you and it's good business. Maybe you turn a quick buck, but do you really want to hand over shoddy work when you go to sell? If you're looking to do this for the long haul, your reputation matters.
Here's an alternative thought: Have you considered an ADU? Many swaths of the city were recently re-zoned to allow ADUs. Check out your zoning and lot size. Your realtor should be able to help.
Free eBook from BiggerPockets!
Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!
- Actionable advice for getting started,
- Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
- Learn how to get started with or without money,
- Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
- And a LOT more.
Sign up below to download the eBook for FREE today!
We hate spam just as much as you