Door remodel, good idea or bad?

4 Replies

Got a house I’m putting numbers together on and just thought I’d throw this out to see what the opinions are.

Got a room that doesn’t have a door on it and when looking at the setup I thought a barn door might work best for space and aesthetics, but in always wanting to tenant proof a house I was wondering what others would think on using one? My concern would be kids and such tearing it up or other concerns with a normal door?

Thanks in advance for the feedback

Hey there  @Cory Lucas , doors take a beating.  I've seen barn doors in rentals (usually higher end) and people love them.  They are a simple concept, just make sure there are good stoppers and pieces that can be easily replaced.  You could get a pocket door but you would need to cut a big hole in the wall to install it. 

Around here, basic hollow bedroom doors are dirt cheap, and there's almost always someone selling or giving away one on Marketplace for next to nothing. I haven't had any issues with my rental, but had a dog and tortoise scratched one up in my home. Also with the humidity here I've had to pop a few off and trim them after they swell. I consider them disposable. 

@Brad Hammond yeah I definitely don’t think a pocket door is feasible. Good thoughts though on keeping it replaceable for the future. Thanks

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you