Ep 9. Financially Independent at Age 30, with Guy on Fire

12 Replies

What would happen if someone had early financial independence in mind right out the gate, upon graduating college? Imagine the amount of money that person could stockpile. Today’s guest had exactly that in mind, and he made the kind of decisions that will allow him to retire early (maybe even in his 20s!).

Meet Guy on Fire. At age 27, he has already accumulated four properties with seven units in the hot Washington, DC housing market. He makes the numbers work—and work well—and is reaping the financial rewards of some sweat, self-education, and side-hustles so he can exit the workforce and live the life of his dreams.

Don’t miss this inspirational and totally-repeatable episode!

Mindy Jensen, Real Estate Agent in CO (#FA100049656)

Whoa, @Mindy Jensen ... I just heard the part of the podcast that you got a '91 NSX. Very nice! I didn't know you were such a gear head! (So am I.) :-)

Love it! Great podcast!

305-537-6252

For all of us saving up to get into the business, thank you for starting the Money PodCast and expanding into personal finance. Discovering BP for future real estate investments has been great, but the massive changes my wife and I have begun putting into effect on the personal finance side since BP lead us to Set For Life, Mr. Money Mustache, and all the others are going to allow us to get there much faster and made us really evaluate what makes us happy (i.e. not random stuff) but freedom and a path to get there.

@Mindy Jensen - Love that you purchased a '91 NSX, I have always wanted one myself, and I hope to see some pictures.

Congrats on the NSX @Mindy Jensen ! Of of the few cars that still will actually make me stop and stare these days. Even more congrats on being financially educated enough to wait and buy the car before money sucking toys and hobbies. 

Despite a few awkward silences, definitely enjoyed the episode on YouTube. Please keep the inspirational material coming!

How do I get to the Money podcast on the app?

Kudos to Guy on Fire! It seems like he worked 20 hours a day for years though, that's quite the hustle!

@Mindy Jensen  

@Scott Trench

Solid podcast guys, he is perfect type of guest speaker for your new podcast because he combines both real estate and personal finance, and for Scott, he is applying the Set for Life strategy in a expensive market like Denver. 

Guy on Fire sounds like a really focused guy young guy, and he is right about living like a college student for as long and utilizing FHA loans to get in on properties for as cheap as you can because as you get older it gets much harder unless in your 30s if you are single and or have a supportive significant other that doesn't mind moving around.

So far, I like the variety of speakers you have gotten. 

Also, congrats on the cool NSX Mindy, that was one of my favorite cars growing up.   I used to have a 98 Acura Integra GSR, so I love old Acuras, especially the NSX.  

Hey dumb question... how come I can't find this on the iOS Podcast app? What am I missing...

I also managed financial independence by 31 via house hacking. I highly recommend this to anyone interested in living free. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.