Ep 33. From Debt to Financial Freedom -While Active Duty Military

11 Replies

Stuart Grazier joined the military and immediately went into debt. A chance encounter with Dave Ramsey’s Financial Peace University showed him how to manage his finances, and he returned from his stint overseas with his more than $40,000 in debt paid off!

His wife had roommates while he was overseas, and they continued to have roommates when he returned, House-Hacking to cover his mortgage so he could stockpile his cash.

Attending a local real estate meetup introduced him to someone looking for private loans, and his stockpile of cash provided him the ability to create private loans — earning 12 percent interest on his money.

Stuart discusses his successes and failures in real estate investing, his transition to rental properties, and what he’s planning after he separates from the military.

Feeling stuck at your job and looking to fix your financial future? This is the episode you need to listen to.

Listen here or on your favorite podcast app.

Great episode! As a Navy veteran myself, I agree it was sad seeing brand new young sailors buy a ridiculously overpriced vehicle with an even more ridiculous interest rate right away. "brand new Mustang with a 20% interest rate" is real. Every young service member needs to listen to this!

I loved this episode. It is like he was reading my diary for the first part and my goal sheet for the second half. As an Active Duty Navy Sailor,  I used Dave Ramsey and his 7 baby steps to go from debt -to even - to paying for a house in cash after several deployments. I have given away countless numbers of the Total Money Makeover to fellow service members. 

However, as Stuart said, I realized that the Dave Ramsey plan was a 90% solution, and that leverage with Real Estate investing could catapult my net worth. On pace to do 5 deals this year, and trying to double that next year. 

Thank you, Stuart and Bigger Pockets money for sharing this fantastic information! 

As an active duty military member I loved listening to this episode.  Stuart had a very interesting path, and I was able to learn a lot that I did not know about.

His advice about the Career Starter loan provided by USAA and Navy Federal to graduates of Service Academies/ ROTC/ OTS was spot on.  I know tons of people that blew that money on a brand new car instead of investing.  

This post has been removed.

I have not had a chance to listen to this podcast yet but it is now on the top of my list!! ...I love seeing all of the service members chimming in here. I am active duty Navy and I have done 5 deals this year so far taking my rental portfolio to 10 units. Every bit of time not devoted to the military is consumed by my love of real estate and investing. It is quite an inspiration to see all the other service memebrs chimming in here. I would like to thank each and every one of you for your service and wish you all the best with your investing. You guys rock!!

ETV1(SS) Spittler, USN

-Mike

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here