Ep 35. Hacking Your Life to Live (Almost) Free w Craig Curelop

16 Replies

Graduating from college, Craig Curelop had amassed an impressive $25,000 savings account – AND $85,000 in student loan debt. Conventional advice is to pay off your student loans BEFORE investing. In this episode, we hear how Craig ignored this advice and started buying properties to House Hack in the hot Denver real estate market while making the minimum payment on his student loans.

Fast forward a few years, and now Craig generates significant income through his primary residence and can concentrate on aggressively paying down his debt – all while living the life he chooses.

Craig has found ways to optimize his life so he can move toward financial freedom. He also takes advantage of several “life hacks” that reduce his living expenses to almost nothing.

Wondering how to get started? Craig’s story is a must-listen.

Listen here or on your favorite podcast app.

This episode was great and it really got my thinking about my current situation.

As a first property, which would you recommend assuming you could pull in roughly the same cashflow.

A duplex, rent out one half, live in the other with a roommate or a SFH with an in-law suite. Rent out the 3-4 bedrooms, then air bnb the in-law suite. I'd love any input on this!!

You guys should have Diego Corzo on an episode in the future. I'm happy to put you in touch. He teaches people this exact strategy, based out of Austin. 

Househackingclub.com

Great episode. A new way of looking at SFH in hot markets, or any market really.

@Eric McAvoy Sounds like both would work so just go for either!

I really liked this episode! Well done on finding solutions which work in a hot market.

Great episode, really appreciate the openness and candidness of @Craig Curelop .  Awesome template of out of the box thinking that creates lifestyle changes down the road, that coupled with some traditional methods to create amazing results.

I freaking loved this episode! Such good stuff!

I very much enjoyed this episode.  Thank you for sharing @Craig Curelop .  I've only ever used Airbnb when traveling.  I hadn't considered becoming a host with them in my primary residence.  Very clever sharing the space when you were still an owner-occupant.  "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain."

This episode had some of the best ideas I've heard for people who are single to get a jump start in life hacking.  Craig was so engaging and the BP staff reactions made it so I had to keep rewinding and hear "that bit" again.  It was a good time AND informative.  Thank you for that respite from hard core study!

@Eric McAvoy If you plan on investing for long term, I’d definitely say do the numbers, see which one would suit better to you on the long run. If they both turn out to be fairly even, then at that point it will be more of preference to you on which to choose, say like out of convenience

I really wanna know more about @Craig Curelop 's love life behind the cardboard and sheet in the duplex. Yeah Craig, how was your luck that year? Did you manage to convince ANY person of your desired gender that you actually owned the whole duplex?

This post has been removed.

I would actually say it's not just for single people. My husband and I have found creative ways to keep some of Craig's strategies going even once we got married.  We do unique things that none of our friends are doing to keep our liabilities low and make sure we are generating revenue from as much as we can.  It's really all about mindset and thinking "What would it take to make this happen?" 

Thanks everyone!! I'm really glad you all enjoyed the show. 

@Jim K. - Believe it or not, I did meet a really nice girl. She was actually my guest who was thinking about moving to Denver. She then moved to Denver, let me know, and we hang out pretty regularly. Quite ironic if you ask me haha. 

@Craig Curelop

You know what? We both know you did a very bright thing, so I'm going to stop joking around about it. Good job, Craig, and I quite frankly wish I had had half your brains about money when I was that age. 

You are an inspiration!

Thanks, @Jim K. - I appreciate your kind words! It means a lot. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here