Ep 36: Childhood Poverty to Financial Freedom by Age 32

14 Replies

Jillian Johnsrud grew up lacking the privileges that many of us take for granted.

Jillian Johnsrud grew up poor, with an abusive step father and a mother unable to leave due to lack of funds. She emancipated herself during her junior year of high school, living in a camper in high school, waiting tables after class. Still, she managed to save $8,000 by the time she graduated.

She married young, and medical debt and student loan debt put her family in a tough starting position. From there, however, Jillian began building wealth. In adventures that span tons of different states and even a stint in Europe, Jillian was able to eliminate her debt and achieve financial freedom—all while never earning more than a median income.

Hear Jillian’s story of investing when everyone thinks you’re crazy, adopting a group of siblings, and “creating a life that is such a perfect fit she never wants to retire from it.”

Listen here or on your favorite podcast app.

Just listened to the podcast!  What an awakening....  thought of this.

“Do not go by my humble beginnings.  Be wary of my enormous vision”.  Manoj Arora  

Thank you for hosting this guest. What a story.

OK, I finally have decent Internet access. Again, what a story. Very often I feel the FI community is just jam-packed with men coming from obviously privileged childhood backgrounds who have too little to say that relates to my own life, who know nothing about the psychological consequences of growing up poor as a child. Poverty is damaging. It hurts and scars people viciously. It cuts patterns of thinking into their brains and thrusts shame into their souls. It put people in prisons of the mind. People who are in that place have a different road to travel to a financial independence mindset than those born to a measure of economic comfort. Jillian was able to make that point, and some of the things she said spoke very directly to me, reached across the divide like no one else I've ever listened to in this community.

Wow, you got Jillian...excellent!  Looking forward to this one.  I heard her on a prior interview and it was powerful.

Wow that's an amazing story!!!  Really inspiring.

Great story. I love people can save and invest is still possible folks just have to focus. Thank You for sharing. 

Wow, great story!  Thanks for sharing!

I can not wait to listen to this...thank you 

Inspiring!  Thank you for sharing.

Wow! That's an awakening for everyone at the zero level like me.

Forget about wonder woman...Jillian is the true superhero.  Thanks for this episode...best guest yet.

The story is very inspiring. Thanks for such a motivation. I am working a 9 to 5 job & wants financial freedom. Any suggestions.

Updated 10 months ago

<a href="https://www.yourbdesk.com/about-us/">B Desk Real Estate | Best Real Estate Company in Tricity</a>

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here