Money Show Ep 42. How to Invest in Real Estate w Josh & Brandon

10 Replies

Real estate is a hot topic right now, and who better to talk about the subject than BiggerPockets founder Joshua Dorkin and BiggerPockets Real Estate Investing Podcast host Brandon Turner?

No one, that’s who.

So Mindy & Scott went to these experts to gather up some excellent real estate advice. In this episode, we get a brief history of their experiences with finance and real estate and chat about their new book, How to Invest In Real Estate. Josh and Brandon also cover tips for managing your money while you save for your first investment, Josh’s inverted funnel analogy—and Brandon’s references to Harry Potter.

Thinking about adding real estate investing to your portfolio? This episode of BiggerPockets Money will educate and inspire you!

Perfect hosts for this topic. Can't wait to listen to this one. Thanks everyone in BP for everything, I wouldn't be where I am financially without this community. Thanks for the hard work and dedication you put in to provide us this community.

Loved the energy of this podcast having all the BP team together!  You can tell everyone at BP loves what they do.  I already purchased "The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari" and am looking forward to that read. 

Wow, how on Earth were you able to convince Josh and Brandon to do the show?

Just kidding of course, great show!

It's awesome to see how four people with four very different backgrounds and outlooks on real estate can come together and provide such high-quality content. It was like an hour long panel of real estate gold. Motivation Monday. 

@Mindy Jensen Great Episode! Love the banter and knowledge dropping, excited to give the book a read as well.

@Mindy Jensen @Scott Trench We're huge fans of the show, been listening since the summer and find it very inspiring!  We have both of Brandon's first two books and looking forward to the third!  We took the plunge and signed up for mint to start on the FIRE journey (ps. Mindy, great spot on GMA!!).  Here is the dismal picture we've been avoiding.  We're going public to keep ourselves accountable:

But, this show, BiggerPockets and Josh and Brandon gave the insight that real estate is the only way out of the hole.  We're taking steps to become RE investors and find the advice from BiggerPockets and the Money Show to be so valuable!  Hoping we can pay off all these student loans before our 4 and 2 year old sons go to college themselves!  Thanks for providing answers, a roadmap and hope in the midst of a grim situation! 

So fun to listen to a podcast with all four superstars! I had my mom listening in the car for this one and she loved it too (she's already a frugal real estate investor, but you gave her some great things to think about).

@Alan Reza You should start a journal (on BP) with all your information going forward. Then lots of people will have eyes on you to keep you accountable!

@Alan Reza

Does the debt number include debt on a mortgage too , or mostly student loan debt? Hopefully the high student loan debt means degrees that are helping you earn high salaries now or in the near future . I’ve listened to the Dave Ramsey show , not in a while but everyshow he has people that have paid off a Bunch of debt . 

Best of luck ! 

@Joseph M. Unfortunately, no its $10,000 credit cards, $16,000 loan for our family car, and the rest in student loans, not mortgage debt. Ivy League education and Law School. Yes, we're higher income. But, its all W-2 at this point. Taxes, student loan payments and health insurance are killing us! We've been listening to bigger pockets and also learned about the Dave Ramsey snowball method. We're devising a budget and a 3-4 year pay off plan for the credit cards and car. The student loans are going to be a bigger animal to tackle. Probably the only real way out is REI.

@Julie Marquez Thanks!  We'll look into the BP Journal idea!  We've got to figure out how to do that!  Is that on the PRO account option?    

Originally posted by @Andrew Syrios :

Wow, how on Earth were you able to convince Josh and Brandon to do the show?

Just kidding of course, great show!

I'm very persuasive...

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here