The Truth About Entrepreneurship with Matt Giovanisci

13 Replies

Matt Giovanisci is a serial entrepreneur. He decided early on that “working for the man” was not in the cards for him, and he set out creating side hustles that generated income so he could be his own boss and do things on his schedule and his terms.

But entrepreneurship isn’t always the pie-in-the-sky fairytale that it is sometimes made out to be. On today’s episode, we talk to Matt about the successes and failures he’s had as an entrepreneur—from the pool/spa care website he took to $100K in yearly revenue in just five short years to the podcast he quit after one episode.

This episode takes off the rose-colored glasses for a realistic view of how entrepreneurship actually looks.

Listen here or on your favorite podcast app.

Great podcast Mindy and Scott!

@Mindy Jensen Great podcast really enjoyed the points made at the end about sticking to what you know/are good at. Definitely something to think about myself, on the brink of getting into real estate. Should I be focusing my time and effort elsewhere where I already have skills and knowledge or is it worth it to start fresh for the potential rewards in real estate. Ultimately there is so many ways to get into real estate I think it’s about maximizing my strengths in an area which will lead to success.

@Mindy Jensen - The show notes for Matt's podcast still have links to connect with Tinian from last week's episode. Can you update this with Matt's info? He's local to me in South Jersey and I'd like to connect with him. 

Did I hear correctly that your guest was receiving Unemployment Benefits while also making money (via affiliate marketing) on his website?  

If so, is that legal?  

@Frank Jones I didn't listen to this particular podcast but there have certainly been fraudsters interviewed on the BP podcast. I wouldn't be shocked if someone admitted to unemployment fraud on it lol.
Originally posted by @James Masotti :

@Mindy Jensen - The show notes for Matt's podcast still have links to connect with Tinian from last week's episode. Can you update this with Matt's info? He's local to me in South Jersey and I'd like to connect with him. 

James, I've updated the info. Thanks for the head's up.

This post has been removed.

@Mindy Jensen and @Scott Trench Loved this podcast!  I listen to Matt (and Andrew) on the Listen Money Matters and Money Lab podcasts and love it when all my "Friends" come together!  You guys all inspire me to keep figuring it out and positioning my family for big things in the future.  Sadie, my wife, has a side business she is working extremely hard on, we have a duplex that we want to turn into a couple more, I have an idea for a website that I hope comes to fruition through some hard work and we're just really excited to make things happen!  Thank you all for encouraging us to go for it and try something and not sugar coating it along the way.

Entertaining, informative and inspiring! 

This is only the second BiggerPockets Money Podcast I have listened to thus far but I certainly plan on catching up on past episodes!

Originally posted by @Mindy Jensen :
Originally posted by @James Masotti:

James, I've updated the info. Thanks for the head's up.

Also...The audio links to episode 41 and the video to episode 44

Interesting stuff! Would definitely encourage people to really understand the hidden costs of entrepreneurship- I would never do this to make 100k a year. There are cushy, skilled w2 positions that pay that with far less emotional burden! Self-employment just to not work for someone is NOT the right reason!

This is next on my list. I am planning on listening to the episode in its entirety tomorrow.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here