Real Estate Not-So-Successful Stories
1.1K Posts | 79 Discussions
Builder won’t finish my house
Well I bought a house, closed and moved in end of May. Only, the builder never finished the house. It was details - closet shelves, a utility room countertop not in, drywall repairs and touching up everywhere, screens... View more
Limit your liability
Shortly after I started my business, I decided to sub lease 1/2 of my shop to the father of a friend. I had known his father for several years, we got along great, I thought I knew him well enough. He was having some... View more
New to Real Estate Investing
Im a super rookie but I think I'm ready to start my journey of investing.Im looking to invest in Ontario or San Bernardino California..any advice??
Unsuccessful stories are better
Wow I thought there would be a good amount of unsuccessful stories. This is the first time I looked on here which is the irony in my part as well. Almost like I was unsure to see that sometimes there will be mistakes... View more
Biggest regrets in real estate?
BP as we all know is a very open and honest environment. Now, this being said I would like for some successful investors to share what they regret in REI, so people like me (just getting this train rolling) can read... View more
Suggestions for realtor that I think pulled a fast one
I'm looking for advice on a property I recently made an offer on. The abridged version goes like this. Last week I looked at a property and met directly with the seller's agent. This is something I now do frequently.... View more
You pay to learn, and some time it include your credit and time
This is about the 2nd property I bought, which consider a failure, and my school tuition fee in this profession. A bit long, but here goes the story:About a year after buying my first rental property, and getting it... View more
Permitted SBA loan uses?
Does anyone know if SBA loans can be used to progress construction projects in the absence of commercial lending? I’m not looking for free money, but rather a method to continue a project that will provide housing and... View more
Getting rid of the smell of cat urine
Hello all, I’m cleaning up my apartment for my next tenant. The previous tenant left the place is complete disarray, including the smell of cat urine. Does anyone have a solution to solve this particular issue? Thanks
Tenant has vehicle on blocks??? Thoughts?
So I forgot to put please don’t put your vehicle on blocks while renting here... in the lease. I said something about it last week and of course the part is back ordered bc of COVID-19. What would you do????
How to get rid of worthless land in Pennsylvania
How do you dispose of a property in an HOA community with HOA fees that no one wants. The HOA will not take it back as a gift. Charities do not want it because of the HOA fees. These lots are not being purchased at... View more
Where to post about someone who's shady?
Is there a specific place where people can post about who to avoid in the real estate world? One of them, I ended up having to sue for fraud. Nobody else should have to deal with these people.
Only bad tenant I've had.
I have had success renting to friends and family. However the first time it did not go so well. I rented my sfh house to a friend. I moved into an apartment to see if I could handle being a landlord, single parent and... View more
Getting Rid of Humidity Smell
We have a garage apartment unit that we want to rent out. It has this weird humidity smell and we've put air fresheners in the room and it still smells the same. What would you guys recommend for this? Thanks in advance!
Looking for Advice on Best Way Forward
I bought a 5 unit apartment building in Albany, NY in 2017.  Due to a utility shut off the winter 2018, I had a horrendous water leak in one apartment spilling into another.  The contractor I hired then was slow and... View more
Why Househacking n SF Bay Area is not for me
Only from experience of walking around quiet suburbs and touring properties did I finally realize that house hacking in SF Bay Area is not for me. This month, I've toured a number of condos & single family houses... View more
Roofing disaster!!!!! Looking for opinions :/
This may be a little lengthy but I want to tell the whole story.... I sold my first house! ( kind of ) All I had to do was put a new roof on it and I was going to make $80,000 on my first investment I purchased my... View more
Should I Buy Real Estate Near Primary or Secondary Residance
I am currently a college student who is looking to get into real estate investing either through BRRRR or conventional single family house renting. During the summers, holidays, etc. I live at home in Pittsburgh.... View more
Lost A Big Equity Deal Due To Poor POF
I am brand new to wholesaling and I recently got my first property under contract this week. The seller wanted POF, so I provided him with one of those free POFs that you can get from a private money lender. The seller... View more
Newbie offer on a foreclosure with suspected foundation issues
My husband and I want to make a cash offer on a foreclosed rehab property(ARV est $250K) in an up and coming Atlanta community that is partially finished. Investor stopped halfway through, defaulted, is now bank owned,... View more
Working withcash. Best bet foreclosure auctions??
I am working with$200k cash. From my research it seems paying cash at foreclosure auctions I will get best value. Fix, refi, hopefully pull out some cash to build the war chest, rent, do it again and again. I have been... View more
Refi Fiasco for 4-plex
My husband and I bought a four-plex in South Tucson in November 2019 for $185K.  Water was leaking in from the roof and windows, sliding doors were off the frames and wouldn't lock, nothing was fixed for years, etc. ... View more
The Egos many Investors have. (You know who you are)
Am I the only person that notices how uptight many of the more successful Investors can be ? I mean, I understand that with great success requires a different attitude/mindset, But I am seeing more common the arrogance... View more
My First Flip Bankrupted Me [Part 5]
** This is part 5 of me documenting my fun and often stressful real estate journeyIt’s pitch black in my bedroom. I roll over to check my phone to see what time it is. 4:30am. I’m thankful to be able to go back to... View more