I failed the National!!

8 Replies

I took the Illinois real estate brokers exam Friday. I passed the State and failed the National. I’m going to try again in 2-3 weeks. Has anyone had to take the test twice if so what did you do differently to prepare for the test? Did you pass the second time? Any study tips? Books? Website? Etc...

I’m using the study material from Chicago real estate school, the book and their online material.

I failed it way back in 1975 the first time I took the national at 18...

I just got the practice test memorized the heck out of them took it again and was done in 30 minutes.

One tip

Do NOT do the math problems till your all done with the res of the test

if math is not your strong suit and its not for many  or metes and bounds or other land type legal descriptions.. just come back to those. You don't want to get derailed with those and get nervous

make sure you pass the law portions which are more than 50% of the test questions.

Miguel Castillo I’ve heard so much about exam smart I decided to purchase it. I will start on that as soon as possible while the exam is still fresh in my mind.

Jay Hinrichs thanks for the tip math is definitely not my strongest subject.

@Kushunda Wilks

Good, don't take your state exam until you score at least 85% on Exam Smart, the videos make it easier to understand.  Also, don't forget to "@" names otherwise we don't see your responses. 

@Miguel Castillo I passed the State exam but failed the National and tips on how to better prepare for the National?

I think a site called prepagent.com had some really good videos/podcasts.  Like @Jay Hinrichs said save the math until last.   Your brain has to readjust for each math problem taking more time and stress.  Also skip any you don't know right away.  There are also guides that say to automatically skip the first 5 questions and save them till the end.  The first 5 are made to make you really have to think and get in a stressed state of mind.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here