Getting rid of the smell of cat urine

14 Replies

Hello all, I’m cleaning up my apartment for my next tenant. The previous tenant left the place is complete disarray, including the smell of cat urine. Does anyone have a solution to solve this particular issue?

Thanks

None of you appear to own cats.  Baking soda on carpet?  That won't do it.

There are carpet cleaners for carpet steam cleaners that are designed for cat/dog odor. I've also found that the ingredient in Lysol Antibacterial Kitchen Cleaner works well for getting rid of the cat odor. Of course, you then have to steam clean the carpet to get the Lysol cleaner smell out.

We have 3 cats in our house. No one who comes over realizes we have cats unless one is seen. There have been accidents over the years, but they've been dealt with in the method I described above.

Here is my cat story, My first property was a two unit house. The ground floor apt was clean as a pin with a long term tenant. I mean the apt was clean & nice. The woman was great she lived there 5 years & never had a problem. I would do a annual walk through, but never went in to her back bathroom because the rest of the house was so clean. One time she mentioned that she had trained her cats to use the toilet. Well, long story short, she moved out and when I finally went in to that back bathroom... I found a 18inch tall cat **** stalagmite all around the out side of the toilet. The cat would sit on the toilet and sit on the floor around the side of the toilet. I had to take a sledge hammer to bust it up and get rid of all the ****. I used to love cats, but 40 houses later & a few more other cat experiences have made me have a hard no policy on cats. 

To fix the problem I recommend a ozone generator, you can get them off of amazon fairly cheap. You also have to take out the flooring & possibly the sub floor depending on how bad it smells. I would also soak floor in a cat urine enzyme cleaner. 

You’ve gotta neutralize the soaked in cat piss.

1. Replace soft surfaces like carpet.

2. Treat floor with neutralizer during replacement. Lay plastic down so it had to soak in (especially if it’s concrete). Leave it 12hr.

3. Ozonate until you can’t smell it at all. Last house I did was bad, I ran ozone machine 84 hours.

4. Replace carpet.

Baking soda does very little. Bleach doesn’t do enough, and don’t use it on raw concrete. Don’t skip a step or it’ll cost ya.

Last house I did, removed carpet, removed padding, cleaned subfloor and then painted it. Laid down 6 mil plastic and then new laminate. That seemed to work. We don't allow cats in any of our properties under any circumstances. (the house above was an acquisition)

I know that with odor, it's not sufficient to just mask it with another "pleasant" or bleach smell.  You have to remove the source that's creating stinky molecules.  So those solutions about removing carpet makes sense.  I have had very good results using enzyme cleaners in my own cases of rabbit piss.  That does the source removal when you cannot throw the item away.  I'd like to know what the ozone generator does.  Is it just removing the molecules of odor from air or is it doing like enzyme does for source removal?  That would make a permanent fix. 

I would agree on the enzyme cleaner, but you have to be generous with it so it will penetrate. You will have to remove and dispose of the carpet and padding. Then ozone treat if the place is empty. One of my first rentals I had a tenant who was a nurse at a vet clinic. She liked to bring her work home with her. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you