Avenues Condo- Salt Lake City

2 Replies

Investment Info:

Single-family residence buy & hold investment in Salt Lake City.

First property I ever bought. I work for various Pipeline contractors and work had been good for several years. I had a hefty amount in my savings and knew I wanted get into Real Estate. I really was extremely green and flew out to Salt Lake over a weekend and bought this Condo. I really had no analysis and was shooting from the hip. I knew markets were down that was about it. I liked the condo idea, as I could manage them somewhat easily from anywhere in the country and continue my work in the gas and oil. Looking back I definitely would have been better off not paying cash and buying as many as I could, as this condo has since appreciated like crazy every year! Learning experience. It hasn't been empty for more than a week since I bought it, and I have never had a payment be late. Potential to to a 1031, or draw equity out for a deal this year.

How did you finance this deal?

cash

Lessons learned? Challenges?

I would not pay cash for another property but instead buy more, and borrow more. I lost out on lots of opportunity but it was a good learning experience and property until I really knew what path I needed to take.

Reading the Book  "Investing in Real Estate Investing with No and Low Money Down". There is some good stuff in chapter four. I am diving deeper into the subject now.  I wouldn't need to draw the max equity out of the property, so I would still be alright on the cash flow. I am in Pittsburgh area now, haven't been here long but very different from SLC. Happy Investing!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you