Passive Income RE Investment in Thailand & Great Property Manager

6 Replies

Investment Info:

Single-family residence buy & hold investment in Bangkok.

Purchase price: $32,350
Cash invested: $34,000

In June 2015, I bought a brand new condo in the capital of Thailand, Sukhumvit Road area, close to the sky train station. I planned to have it as a cash flowing short term rental via Airbnb. But laws quickly changed and Airbnb became illegal in Thailand. Now, I have a long term tenant (12 months contract), and a manager taking care of everything. It's now a hands off, passive income generating rental property.

What made you interested in investing in this type of deal?

Back then, I was living in Thailand, and a friend told me about this new condominium project, that was almost finished. The price was good and he bought 3 units. As it was my first real estate investment, I bought one.

How did you finance this deal?

Financing was not available for foreigners and I had to buy in hard cash.

How did you add value to the deal?

I fully furnished the unit with a western style furniture and design. Also built in an air conditioner, which is a must in Thailand.

What was the outcome?

After renting it out, my ROI is 10,7%, the cap rate is 8%

Lessons learned? Challenges?

In hindsight, I would not buy a property full in cash again. The ROI is just too low. When financing would be available, with 20% down, I could buy 5 of such condos with the same amount of money, instead of just one.
Just to compare, with 20% down with financing, the cash on cash return would be 38%.
The appreciation is very good though, it has almost doubled in price and I will sell it next year, after holding it for 5 years.

Did you work with any real estate professionals (agents, lenders, etc.) that you'd recommend to others?

Very happy with my agent and manager. Without him, it wouldn't be a hands off investment. He takes care of everything, found a tenant in no time (!) and handles all communication with the tenant. If anyone already has a condominium in Bangkok, Thailand, and looking for tenants or a manager, I would highly recommend him. Send me a PM for his contact details.

I've lived in Bangkok all my life and I've never thought that you could pull off a good real estate deal especially in Sukhumvit Road wow!

Thank you for your post. It makes me feel better that there are opportunities around where I live  : )

Cheers!

Promotion
Apartments.com
List, Screen, Lease, Get Paid, Manage.
No Better Place to Lease Your Place
Owners rely on the #1 rental site to get the best results from their rental properties.
Get Started Now
Originally posted by @Aaron K.:

@Ron Richter that's interesting we don't hear about investments abroad very often.

That's what I find too. It's fascinating how modern Bangkok has become. All new condominiums have a big pool and gym facilities. Hopefully more people will share about their investments abroad.

@Ron Richter this is an interesting post! I like to travel, so investing abroad is one of my long term goals.

I wanted to ask, is there any currency fluctuation risk that you have to manage? This is something I always have in the back of my head, wondering how it may have played out for you.

Originally posted by @Pope Lake:

@Ron Richter this is an interesting post! I like to travel, so investing abroad is one of my long term goals.

I wanted to ask, is there any currency fluctuation risk that you have to manage? This is something I always have in the back of my head, wondering how it may have played out for you.

I love traveling too. When I'm visiting a new country, I will usually contact a real estate agent and ask her to show me a few properties. It's a great way to see the area, and learning about the local market.

Yes, currency fluctuation might be a risk. But in my case it played out well. The Thai Baht currency has risen so much compared to the USD right now. That means while the rent stays the same, I get more USD. But you have to watch it, and have the right timing to buy and sell.

Most Americans I met there, are buying a condo for themselves, to have a rent free home base in Asia. One such a case study, very well documented with pictures is here: https://onestep4ward.com/buying-condo-thailand-mortgage-free-20s/

It was a top notch 2BR condominium for $90K.

@Ron Richter awesome - great strategy with getting in touch with a local agent. I might as well try that on my next trip.

And always nice to have a little bit extra on the flows because of the currency. Thanks for sharing.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you