Fix and Flip - Austin TX

3 Replies

Investment Info:

Single-family residence fix & flip investment.

Purchase price: $245,000
Cash invested: $140,000
Sale price: $410,000

Total rehab, foundation, kitchen, baths, drywall, flooring, windows and insulation.

I am not sure what this post is. Is this a property you purchased that you are going to rehab, are you looking for funding, looking for a partner, project manager since it looks like you are in California, are you tryin to market this as a deal or are you asking other information about this property?

@Bruce C Keller That sounds like a problematic deal. It seems that the margin is 25,000$.I want my flips margin to be a great deal more. One big factor that most folks forget is taxes. Lets say your income tax bracket is 28%. Then the after tax profit is  $18,000. Since you are in CA I am assuming that you will pay taxes on that profit as well. For simplicity, I will take CA income tax out of the equation. In all my flips, I want to make sure that the finished product turns out amazing so that I can maximize the value of the flip. For me, I have to calculate the time value as well. If that project took 3 months then you are looking at $6k a month... And then calculate the time that you met the contractors. I wouldn't touch it for $25k. Where did the flip happen? 

Escrow closes on 10/11. This was our 1st flip, and believe me we made just about every major mistake we could, starting with selecting and inexperienced realtor in a market we were not familiar with. As the saying goes " some mistakes you only make once", very true. Having said that, we learned a great deal and will be moving forward with some hard earned knowledge.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you