First ever RE Investment... Didn't even know what I had:)

1 Reply

Investment Info:

Other fix & flip investment in Palm Beach Gardens.

Purchase price: $109,000
Cash invested: $11,000
Sale price: $185,000

Originally lived in the home with my fiance. We were able to save money and buy a house. We kept the condo and rented it out for a few years and had minimal success. We got burned by our second year of tenants and a whole mess of HOA headaches. We ended up selling for a sizable profit, plus the sale of our other house to buy our dream home.

What made you interested in investing in this type of deal?

100%... minus the HOA headaches of course

How did you find this deal and how did you negotiate it?

I was renting the place prior to buying. I kept being a bug in my landlords ear. I guess it was essentially cold calling and I didn't realize. He eventually sold to me because he was tired and didn't want to landlord anymore.

How did you finance this deal?

Wedding present and 20% down.

How did you add value to the deal?

Rehabbed the entire house flooring and remodeled the kitchen. All on my own. Learned a lot.

What was the outcome?

Final outcome was we walked away with about 60K which we paid down a lot of debt and held the money until we sold the current house to buy our dream house. A little more than we needed but awesome. We did rent it for a few years and I didn't manage the money very well.

Lessons learned? Challenges?

We got seriously burned on the sale because of the capital gains. When we moved out of hte condo it was about 2 months shy of two years which would have saved us about 12K!! FL law states that you can keep all gains from a primary residence if you lived there for 2+ years. Bought in April of 14' and moved into a house in Feb of 16'. Now I know! Also, tenants. Get good tenants and don't be overly understanding. Empathetic, but not too much. Its a business.

Did you work with any real estate professionals (agents, lenders, etc.) that you'd recommend to others?

Yeah. Neeraj Mahani. RE Agent. Bobby Bashwiner. Broker

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you