Closed on my first commercial mixed use property !

14 Replies

Investment Info:

Large multi-family (5+ units) commercial investment investment in Syracuse.

Finally after several months I closed on my first commercial deal. A mixed use multifamily. There are two buildings on one tax map. The main building has a corner store/bodega on the first floor and two rental apartments upstairs. The second building has two more rental apartments. So a total of four units and one store. Purchase price $125,000, cash invested $37,250. Gross monthly rents $3150 . Net cash flow $1100 . Cash on Cash 35 %

What made you interested in investing in this type of deal?

I was eager to move to a larger multi unit after only investing in single family properties ( which by the way I love) but this deal came up that my broker had just listed and the price was right in line with what I was looking to buy. I had sold a single family in Texas and was looking to reinvest to a higher cash flowing asset and also gain some experience with commercial property acquisition on a small scale. ( I did not do a 1031 exchange as I needed to use half of the proceeds personally )

How did you find this deal and how did you negotiate it?

My broker had just listed the property and I jumped on it right away, I was able to get an offer in within a couple of days and luckily because the the day my offer was accepted multiple offers came flooding in. It's a C class building in a developing area. Needs some updating, rents are below market ( but it still cash flows great anyway) . Needs a couple small plumbing jobs. We negotiated with the seller to deliver a new C of C which is now good for 5 years.

How did you finance this deal?

I used a local commercial lender. 25% down through my LLC with a personal guarantee. Its a 5 year fixed rate of 4.75% with 5 year adjustments on a 20 year amortization schedule. I was surprised with how easy the underwriting process was and how quickly I received commitment. I had previously used conventional bank loans in my personal name and a seller finance deal so this was my first commercial application.

How did you add value to the deal?

The property is currently fully occupied with the store tenant on a lease through mid 2021. We are going to raise the rent on the store as it is below market for the size and area and hasn't been raised for some time. I plan to slowly renovate/update the 4 rental units but not until they become vacant so not to disturb my tenants for now.

Lessons learned? Challenges?

I had some trouble with insurance, as there were two buildings on one parcel we had to make sure both buildings ( and they have separate addresses ) were covered. Finding good coverage at a reasonable price and for mixed use property wasn't easy compared with singles or small residential multifamily.
Also closing dragged on and on and my loan commitment almost expired! It was through no fault on our side just dealing with out of state attorney/seller and waiting on paperwork from their end.

Did you work with any real estate professionals (agents, lenders, etc.) that you'd recommend to others?

I used my broker Frank at Procopio Real Estate. Funding through The Upstate Bank.

HI @Samuel Kensinger Thank you! My total monthly expenses are  $2033.00 including my financing. Insurance $130 , water $100, management $250 ( $50 a unit) Taxes $473 and I set aside 5% each for cap ex, vacancy and repairs/maintenance. This may adjust as I get a feel for how much maintenance the property will need, it hasn't been updated so I am probably underestimating that amount. But as the property is fully rented with long term tenants I can put the 5% vacancy towards repairs as needed. I will get a better feel for it after the first 3-6 months. Let me know of you have any other questions and I can break it down further :) 

@Eric Knipe You will get there! I was actually surprised by how easy the financing part was for this but I know I will be hit with expenses I am not used to with my single family investments so It will be a good learning experience. 

@Samuel Kensinger The tenants are set up to pay for their own electricity, they have an account in their own name and there are individual meters for each unit. I pay for water which is billed directly to me and not reimbursed by the tenants as we have set up with my single family properties. The previous landlord had the rent set to be + utilities so I have had no problems with that arrangement so far. In Syracuse I see this for a lot of smaller multifamily properties. Rents are not inclusive of utilities. However for the larger apartment complexesI understand usually electric and gas along with water is included in the monthly rent. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here