Arizona Short-Term Rental

10 Replies

Investment Info:

Condo buy & hold investment.

Purchase price: $170,000
Cash invested: $60,000

Old Town Scottsdale Short-Term Rental
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/plus/38820169?preview_for_ml=true&source_impression_id=p3_1591724166_WwikkhUST8AmmYnl

What made you interested in investing in this type of deal?

My love of Old Town and personal use of Airbnb

How did you find this deal and how did you negotiate it?

Found on the MLS and negotiated directly with the seller through my agent

How did you finance this deal?

5% down FHA

How did you add value to the deal?

Complete remodel and furnishing

What was the outcome?

A short-term rental listed through Airbnb. Revenue ranges from $700 (COVID related in April 2020) to $6500 highest month so far.

Lessons learned? Challenges?

Managing contractors and designers to ensure we stay on budget and time.

Did you work with any real estate professionals (agents, lenders, etc.) that you'd recommend to others?

No

You should be a decorator! Nice work! Pretty sure that community has rental duration limits, possibly 30 day minimums. I assume the HOA is not enforcing?

Also, PHX open dates are priced too low, you can get $400 per night...

very cool looking place. 

Since you did a 5% down FHA, just curious how you got around the FHA requirement that you have to reside in the property as your primary residence for 1 year.

David, congrats on your condo sounds like it is going great. I am also looking into condos to air bnb in the Phoenix area and will love to hear more about your experience. Especially how you handle cleaning. Any info would be appreciated. 

David, congrats on your condo sounds like it is going great. I am also looking into condos to air bnb in the Phoenix area and will love to hear more about your experience. Especially how you handle cleaning. Any info would be appreciated. 

After doing some research, I found out that he did not buy with 5% down FHA, but rather 5% down conventional.

HOA is $385/mo but does include all utilities.

And I guess he is very lucky that the condo association allows short term rentals as most do not.

It appears he bought it under the pretense as an owner occupant in order to get access to the 5% down payment. 
This is all assumptions based on my research and 15.5 years as a real estate agent. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you