Vacation rental in Big Bear, CA

9 Replies

Investment Info:

Single-family residence buy & hold investment.

Purchase price: $445,000
Cash invested: $68,000

Short Term Rental

How did you find this deal and how did you negotiate it?

MLS, offered all cash signt unseen!

How did you finance this deal?

Private investor

How did you add value to the deal?

Full Renovation, interior design

Hi! It’s honestly a tough time to get a deal in Big Bear because of low inventory. I think if you wait till end of season more will come on market. Keep watching though you never know when a deal may pop up! We have seen a history of bubbles in Big Bear the homes don’t appreciate like the do in LA because of the rental market - at least we have seen a pattern of highs and lows about every 5 years and we are at a high right now. That being said we found a deal in August so you never know. Let me know if you have any questions. 

Yes very hard to find right now in big bear . Look into sugar loaf too. Lower price point and maybe more to pick from .

@Jo-Ann Lapin I just do not know what the non-covid market in sugar loaf is like? Any insight. These prices are artificially inflated and I see the market coming back down within the next 3 years. I would be nervous about Sugar Loaf but would love to hear more about non covid rentals there. 

@Amanda Jacobellis i agree! big bear is super inflated right now. we were in the market to purchase in big bear lake. We were subjected to multiple bidding wars. And it wasn't just $10-20k overasking, It was over $50k!.Obviously we didn't get one. We did not ,however, consider sugarloaf as part of our areas for STR investment. For us, it is too far from the main ski resorts & overall it is a lower class neighborhood. @Ehlen Baylon i would definitely wait until prices are calmed down. if you're looking to airbnb, you definitely need prime location.

From my research, non-covid occupancy was only 30%...of course depending on areas. Some rentals did better than others if they have nicer home decors & prime location. We knew a relative recently sold her cabin in moonridge. And she did exceptionally well during COVID times. Even then, she knew to sell her cabin because....yup prices are super inflated! Definitely not a buyer marker!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you