Garage conversion cost in Miami Dade

6 Replies

Hello everyone!

My wife and I recently bought a fixer house (3/2 with two car garage) as our primary residence in Hialeah, FL and want to get into house hacking to offset our monthly payment. 

As it's pretty common in Miami we'd like to convert our garage into a studio apartment/loft. 

How would this type of additions impact the appraised value of our home? And what could I expect to invest in project like this?

Thanks,

Rafael Castellanos.

@Rafael Castellanos if your house is zoned single family then you will have to do the work without permits if you want to add a kitchen. Many people do that here but it's a risk if the city finds out you may face code violations and potentially having to demolish past work. As far as property value when you resell there may be appraisal issues but many people overlook "illegal" modifications.

As @Beatriz Goudie said, you have to be careful. Code enforcement could make your life a living hell. A simple call from a neighbor trying to sleep when your contractor is banging his hammer can lead to them to showing unannounced. Needless to say, it's possible as converted garages are a common thing down here. 

Good Luck!

Originally posted by @Beatriz Goudie :

@Rafael Castellanos if your house is zoned single family then you will have to do the work without permits if you want to add a kitchen. Many people do that here but it's a risk if the city finds out you may face code violations and potentially having to demolish past work. As far as property value when you resell there may be appraisal issues but many people overlook "illegal" modifications.

Thanks for the reply, Beatriz. Absolutely, my plan is to go by the book.

Originally posted by @Timothy Lewis :

As @Beatriz Goudie said, you have to be careful. Code enforcement could make your life a living hell. A simple call from a neighbor trying to sleep when your contractor is banging his hammer can lead to them to showing unannounced. Needless to say, it's possible as converted garages are a common thing down here. 

Good Luck!

Thanks for getting back to me Timothy. Definitely, saw it first hand. My landlord at the time had to take out an entire fence because he didn't pull permits for the job. 

Now, when would the zoning of the property have to be modified? When adding a kitchen? 

@Rafael Castellanos despite your house being zoned for SFH, it is not illegal to turn your garage into a master suite with a bathroom and "wet bar" that happens to have a refrigerator and a "side entrance." I would talk to an architect and/or GC to get their opinion. Regardless I'd do it correctly and with permits in case you ever want to sell the place. Most lenders won't loan money on properties with illegal additions.

Originally posted by @Carlos Rovira :

@Rafael Castellanos despite your house being zoned for SFH, it is not illegal to turn your garage into a master suite with a bathroom and "wet bar" that happens to have a refrigerator and a "side entrance." I would talk to an architect and/or GC to get their opinion. Regardless I'd do it correctly and with permits in case you ever want to sell the place. Most lenders won't loan money on properties with illegal additions.

Thanks for the reply, Carlos. 

Yes, that's what I've been hearing from people that have done it. As long as you don't have any open flame stove or range you're good. And of course, doing it with permits is the way to go. I'm just curious to why people choose not to. How much more expensive can it be to do it the right way?

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you