BP Business Episode 3: How to Turn Publicity Into Profit

11 Replies

Do you want to know how to get your business noticed by reporters and generate positive press? Today’s guest has made a career out of doing just that. In this episode, he teaches you exactly how to make a splash through innovative (some would say crazy), outside-the-box techniques.

Brent Underwood is a creative marketer who’s done publicity for musical artists, best-selling authors, and his own projects—including a ghost town he bought and plans to turn into a high-end resort.

Today, Brent tells us how his career began with a cold email and how that led to him working with some of the most talented writers and marketers in the country.

Brent also reveals how he gets into the heads of reporters and editors—and how you can do the same. He explains what a “handle” is, and why you need one to get your message to spread.

And you won’t want to miss the most important lessons Brent learned after opening his own hostel in Austin, Texas, and how a goat helped boost business. This show is jam-packed with information that will help you generate buzz and get yourself in front of more clients and customers.

Download it today, and subscribe to the BiggerPockets Business Podcast so you won’t miss an episode!

Click here to listen on iTunes.

This is unrelated to the meat of the podcast but did anyone else get rubbed the wrong way when they were talking about buying things for staging with the intent of taking them back. I'm sure there's folks on here that use this strategy frequently, but I find it in poor taste to promote that kind of behavior. 

Originally posted by @Trevor T. :

This is unrelated to the meat of the podcast but did anyone else get rubbed the wrong way when they were talking about buying things for staging with the intent of taking them back. I'm sure there's folks on here that use this strategy frequently, but I find it in poor taste to promote that kind of behavior. 

I found the whole thing hard to listen to frankly. What you are referring to is essentially "Return Fraud" and it costs businesses millions each year. Ironic that this is a business podcast. It was a nice segue for their guest to detail how fake email accounts, manufactured stories and general deception can be used. I just hope this episode is not a representation of what is to come. 

Originally posted by @Trevor T. :

As one of the hosts of the show, I'll be the first to agree with you.  Anyone who has followed me knows that I've always put ethics and doing the right thing above profit, and we missed the boat here. 

We certainly don't do it often, and we absolutely shouldn't be promoting it as a good idea.  This was just flat-out bad/unethical advice.

No excuses, and thanks for calling us out.  We deserve it.

J Scott while I did not listen and just reading the comments here.. I do think that you will always have different view points.. I remember the only pod cast I have ever listened to was Mike Quarles for about 10 minutes and myself I thought man he is a pro..  then I read the comments and half the people thought him far to aggressive and used car like.. .

As for staging a home and then returning the furniture that's bad form of course.. we pay professional stagers to stage our product.. its a business .. 

Any way keep up the good work

as for the subject of how to publicity  ( good or bad ) into profit one only needs to follow the Morris invest debacle

Wow, @J Scott

I haven't listened to the podcast. But it doesn't matter. That is the most graceful, pride swallowing response I've ever seen. That quality response comes from the heart of a man of high ethics, personal responsibility, and self reflection. The BiggerPockets community is lucky to have a man like you at the top. 

Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs :

J Scott while I did not listen and just reading the comments here.. I do think that you will always have different view points.. I remember the only pod cast I have ever listened to was Mike Quarles for about 10 minutes and myself I thought man he is a pro..  then I read the comments and half the people thought him far to aggressive and used car like.. .

As for staging a home and then returning the furniture that's bad form of course.. we pay professional stagers to stage our product.. its a business .. 

Any way keep up the good work

as for the subject of how to publicity  ( good or bad ) into profit one only needs to follow the Morris invest debacle

Just to clarify (since you mentioned you didn't listen to the episode)...  My wife mentioned staging some of the rooms in our personal residence to sell, and she purchased stuff that she later returned...with the intention of doing so.  This isn't something we should be proud of (and certainly shouldn't be condoning), but it isn't something we do in our investment properties.  We hire professional stagers for all investments.

Regardless, we hadn't thought much about it at the time, but now that we do, we realize that it's flat-out unethical and I know that if I were a store owner, I wouldn't want my customers doing that.

@J Scott From what I have learned through life, it is not the problem, it is how you handle the problem that really defines a person. A lot of folks wouldn't have had the guts to respond the way you did. Thumbs up on that. 

Looking forward to the next episode! 

Hi, as a new member of BiggerPockets I was already pretty confident with the site's value to me before I went all in.  Now this thread, which is really more about ethical standards than the podcast, proves to me without doubt that this is where I want to be.   

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here