Episode #20: David Greene Talks RE Sales & Building Great Teams

20 Replies

https://www.biggerpockets.com/...

“Finding the right people.”

Whether you're a real estate investor or business owner, this is often the answer to the question, "What is your biggest challenge?"

So, when you’re building a team, how do you REALLY judge the character, motivation, and “fit” of a potential hire?

There’s a way. And on today’s episode of the BiggerPockets Business Podcast, David Greene (yes, THAT David Greene) talks all about his real estate sales business and reveals the EXACT questions he’s used to build out his team of real estate agents in the San Francisco Bay Area.

You might know David as the author of two books (Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat and Long-Distance Real Estate Investing) and as co-host of the BiggerPockets Real Estate Podcast. But he also runs a thriving business buying and selling houses—and that’s the focus of today’s show.

You’ll learn how David learned to delegate tasks that drained his energy or didn’t fit his personality, how hiring his first assistant proved to be a HUGE turning point for his business, and the two things that set him apart from all the other agents out there.

Also, David shows us how “frame control” can allow you to help close more deals, how he looks for employees everywhere he goes (even towing garages), how he differentiates “checklist tasks” and “skill tasks,” and how to train for both. Plus, he touches on what toothpaste brands and Chick-fil-A can teach us about our own businesses.

If you ever feel overwhelmed by taking on another time commitment, listen for David’s tip about creating synergy between his various ventures and the secret to creating a lead “funnel.”

Listen to this episode—count up the analogies—and subscribe to the BiggerPockets Business Podcast so you won’t miss the next one!

https://www.biggerpockets.com/...

Hey J, will definitely give this a listen! You seem like the guy to talk to when it comes to buying and selling single family homes! So, I was wondering if you might be able to answer a question I had, which is: How important is it to find a realtor that will actively look for off market deals? My realtor doesn't seem to know much of this space when I talk to her about it, but she is actively serving other investors and has good connections, but all she sends me is on market deals, that aren't really deals, i've already seen and ran the numbers on. 

Thanks!

Originally posted by @Nick Seginowich :

Hey J, will definitely give this a listen! You seem like the guy to talk to when it comes to buying and selling single family homes! So, I was wondering if you might be able to answer a question I had, which is: How important is it to find a realtor that will actively look for off market deals? My realtor doesn't seem to know much of this space when I talk to her about it, but she is actively serving other investors and has good connections, but all she sends me is on market deals, that aren't really deals, i've already seen and ran the numbers on. 

I'll give a quick answer here, and if you want to continue the discussion, I would recommend starting a new thread in the appropriate forum (and I'm happy to answer there as well)...

Long story short, most agents aren't going to know much/anything about off-market deals.  This isn't something that brokers teach (or understand), so unless the agent has learned this on their own (for example, if they're investors themselves), they are likely to know a lot less than you when it comes to finding these types of deals.  If you're looking for off-market deals, I would recommend learning how to do it yourself, and then hiring/training someone to do it for you.

@J Scott

Excellent episode! So glad you guys came together and put this out to the masses. One of my favorite podcast. The story about him being a waiter was pure gold! Everyone wanting to be successful should listen to that several times. It’s the cornerstone to all things great; be the best at all you do and outwork everyone in the room!

I really appreciated the chance to learn more about the guys I've spent days listening to. Learning how the rock stars I look up to got their start and what has been their recipe for business success was neat. A nice break from just real estate talk with David Greene and Brandon Turner

Can't wait for his book on systems. That's the key to building a machine that works well with experts who focus on what their good at so you can focus on what you are good at. 

@J Scott I really like his perspective on how great employees are people who would help customers because it’s who they are rather than what they have to do. Because they are striving for excellence in what they do and in life. Great reminder to develop who you are and let that reflect in your work.

@J Scott J, I talked to your wife about this on IG, and I will post it here.

A few good points I agree with David on, be the best damn XYZ at your job. You’re a waitress, be the best waitress at the restaurant. Too many times I see folks who dislike their job, and become slackers because of it. Be the best at your job and people notice. Shoot, when I left for basic training the advice I was given was avoid being noticed, don’t be the best or worst. Advice given to my first real job/career, what a joke!

@J Scott I just listened to this episode today.  You and Carol knocked it out of the park as always.  Easily one of my top 3 episodes of the business podcast. 

Great episode! Lots of great information and really well put together. You and Carol did a great job and asked some really relevant questions, questions I’ve had myself about the business.

Thanks again keep it up!

Great episode @J Scott .  I think I said this on FB as well but it is worth restating here for the BP crowd....I really enjoyed this episode as it addressed having an agent business. I do not personally know @David Greene , but I think it was interesting that we both found success as agents by building on our success as investors, as well as our connections to BP while having completely opposite personalities and opposite ways we run our businesses.  And that actually makes me think of perhaps a good topic for you to touch on at some point......David very much owns a real estate agent business, while I am self employed. That might be an interesting topic to touch on at some point, the difference between the two.

@J Scott You and Carol ask amazing questions as usual and @David Greene 's analogy of "Be the Best Waiter in the Best Restaurant in Town" stuck with me. 

Many times, we easily get so deep into the business of Real Estate Investing and never take the time to look up to take a full view of the business and note down Critical Success Factors. 

Also, the quote you mentioned J, "Nothing is good that could be great", definitely stuck with me and got me thinking too!

This is a MUST listen-to episode! 

Great episode! Dave, of course, had many analogies and they were spot on. I was inspired by how he, even as a teenager, strived to be the best at whatever he did and systemized the sandwich making at the restaurant he worked at.

"Nothing is good that could be great"

I have loved all of your episodes!  And yes, everyone loves David Green!  I can't believe he's only been with Keller Williams 2-3 years!  So much wisdom on how to build a team. And great questions!  I've never been "managed well", in 20 years of the medical field!  But have always had a manager's reticular activating system, as he says.  Need to listen to all of these episodes again!  

Thank you for correcting him when he mentioned hiring a "girl".  As much as all these amazing REIs talk about getting details right, her being a woman is a big detail!  

Switching topics, I also loved the coffee episode!  Since listening, I've collected 40 five gallon buckets of coffee grounds for the garden!  The socially responsible business stories are my favorite!!

Keep it up!!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here