• hollister, ca
Votes |
Keep and refi or Sell SFH in Memphis

Richard Abarca
Pro Member
  • hollister, ca
Posted Jul 4 2022, 10:05

Hi All,

I am on the fence of what to do with a 3x1 SFH in the Berclair area of Memphis, TN. This was my first deal that I bought in September of last year with the intention of BRRRRing it and original numbers worked out to be a 10% CoC with just a few thousand left in the deal. Since then, lots of growing pains have come along with it including: firing the first property management company, going way over budget for the rehab, vacancy 8 of the last 10 months, doubling of interest rates since i started.

In order to get top dollar for rental rates I recently added central air and cooling to the property which is part of the reason for going over budget. Originally purchased the property for 100k with an ARV of around 155k with 10k of rehab.. Cut to 10 months and I have about 145k into it including closing and holding costs.

Should I:

Cut bait and sell and accept a loss - take that money and look for a better deal near my other rental in Ohio

or 

Keep, cash out refi at double the rate i had originally expected and accept negative cashflow when budgeting for capex, repairs, and vacancy and hope to break even after selling in 3-5 years banking on appreciation of 3% per year.

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Syrios
Pro Member
  • Residential Real Estate Investor
  • Kansas City, MO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Residential Real Estate Investor
  • Kansas City, MO
ModeratorReplied Jul 4 2022, 10:19

I'm usually in favor or holding rentals whenever possible, but if you're going to have to leave money into it after refinance and also it will have a negative cash flow, I would lean toward selling. 

User Stats

Votes
Jordan Spaans
  • Investor
Votes |
  • Investor
Replied Jul 4 2022, 11:17

Was the vacancy due to renovations? That seems like a long time for a unit to be vacant. I would say look at the numbers comparing what you would reasonably expect future performance on this property to be vs. an investment in Ohio for the next several years. Then, do what makes the most sense financially without getting too much emotions involved, numbers don't lie :) 

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Richard Abarca
Pro Member
  • hollister, ca
Votes |
Pro Member
  • hollister, ca
Replied Jul 5 2022, 10:09
Quote from @Andrew Syrios:

I'm usually in favor or holding rentals whenever possible, but if you're going to have to leave money into it after refinance and also it will have a negative cash flow, I would lean toward selling. 

thanks I'm thinking the same

User Stats

Votes
Caleb Brown
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Blue Springs
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Blue Springs
Replied Jul 5 2022, 10:22

What is market rents currently? Have you had recent comps run on it? September to now is 10 months so ARV will be higher. If you still are leaving a lot of money in the deal with negative cashflow I'd probably sell. I know that market is nuts so could be a decent hold long term wise

User Stats

Votes
Richard Abarca
Pro Member
  • hollister, ca
Votes |
Pro Member
  • hollister, ca
Replied Jul 5 2022, 11:50
Quote from @Jordan Spaans:

Was the vacancy due to renovations? That seems like a long time for a unit to be vacant. I would say look at the numbers comparing what you would reasonably expect future performance on this property to be vs. an investment in Ohio for the next several years. Then, do what makes the most sense financially without getting too much emotions involved, numbers don't lie :) 

it was part of it, but mostly gross missmanagement on my part. had my first kid within weeks of closing and i put too much trust into the first property management company finding comfort in their large client base of content landlords.  

thanks, i appreciate the feedback.

User Stats

Votes
Remington Lyman
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jul 5 2022, 14:53
Quote from @Richard Abarca:

Hi All,

I am on the fence of what to do with a 3x1 SFH in the Berclair area of Memphis, TN. This was my first deal that I bought in September of last year with the intention of BRRRRing it and original numbers worked out to be a 10% CoC with just a few thousand left in the deal. Since then, lots of growing pains have come along with it including: firing the first property management company, going way over budget for the rehab, vacancy 8 of the last 10 months, doubling of interest rates since i started.

In order to get top dollar for rental rates I recently added central air and cooling to the property which is part of the reason for going over budget. Originally purchased the property for 100k with an ARV of around 155k with 10k of rehab.. Cut to 10 months and I have about 145k into it including closing and holding costs.

Should I:

Cut bait and sell and accept a loss - take that money and look for a better deal near my other rental in Ohio

or 

Keep, cash out refi at double the rate i had originally expected and accept negative cashflow when budgeting for capex, repairs, and vacancy and hope to break even after selling in 3-5 years banking on appreciation of 3% per year.

I would sell and buy another property in Ohio

• Real Estate Agent Ohio (#2019003078)

Reafco Logo

User Stats

Votes
Terez Jones
  • Memphis, TN
Votes |
  • Memphis, TN
Replied Jul 5 2022, 20:06

Hi Richard...I hate that you have had a bad experience with a PM company here in the Memphis area.  I am with Evernest PM and would love to chat and see if the proven strategies that we use would be effective in your case.  We have the processes and the manpower in place to help get you the results that you are looking for.  Let me know if I can help.  Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Drew Sygit#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Votes |
Drew Sygit#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Replied Jul 6 2022, 05:43

@Richard Abarca it's great that you're owning up to the mistakes:)

What do the numbers look like currently? 

Your upgrades should have increased the target rent.

What would be your gain/loss if you sell now?