• Investor
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
Mis-representation of a single family property

Jason Sung
  • Investor
  • Dallas, TX
Posted Jul 6 2022, 06:40

HI, I am under contract for a single family property. I put an offer while I was out of town and my offer is selected. In option period, I got inspection report (still I was out of town) and decided to move forward. After the option period (or inspection period), I finally came back home and had a chance to visit the property with my contractor. Then I realized that the house is 2 bed/1 bath, instead of 3 bed/2 bath as listed in MLS. The contractor says it will be way over my budget to change the house to 3bed/2bath. In this situation, is it possible to back off from the contract with my EMD? What options do I have in this situation? Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Steven Goldman
  • Lender
  • Pennsylvania
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Pennsylvania
Replied Jul 6 2022, 07:18

Hi Jason, I would notify the owner that you have learned the property is only a 2 bedroom and not a 3 bedroom as advertised and ask the seller to release you from the agreement. As a former practicing attorney in Pennsylvania I would recommend you get legal advice from a practicing Texas licensed attorney. I would avoid a conflict if possible as the lawyers are the only participant in a fight who are guaranteed to make money. Good luck.

User Stats

Votes
Caleb Brown
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Blue Springs
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Blue Springs
Replied Jul 6 2022, 07:28

I would have had the property walked during inspections. Accepting it without even walking or having someone else is a issue. Future ones bring a GC(s) out during the inspection period and walk it during the period to avoid something like this. Did you have an agent helping you? For out of state clients I always take video for them walking through. I am not sure what your contract says but you might have an out. Worst case you guys split EMD and learn for the next one

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Jul 6 2022, 07:38
Quote from @Jason Sung:

HI, I am under contract for a single family property. I put an offer while I was out of town and my offer is selected. In option period, I got inspection report (still I was out of town) and decided to move forward. After the option period (or inspection period), I finally came back home and had a chance to visit the property with my contractor. Then I realized that the house is 2 bed/1 bath, instead of 3 bed/2 bath as listed in MLS. The contractor says it will be way over my budget to change the house to 3bed/2bath. In this situation, is it possible to back off from the contract with my EMD? What options do I have in this situation? Thanks!

I am more curious how the listing agent and the other agent obviously missed this. Is there more to the story on this? 

User Stats

Votes
Lucia Rushton
  • Realtor
  • Dallas - Fort Worth Metroplex, Tx
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Dallas - Fort Worth Metroplex, Tx
Replied Jul 6 2022, 08:29

@Jason Sung did your Realtor inspect the house prior to you making the offer ?