Votes
Joey Chrisman
  • Scottsdale, Az
Votes |
How to cashflow in this current market

Joey Chrisman
  • Scottsdale, Az
Posted Jul 26 2022, 22:01

Any property on mls in Tempe is 400k and above... even if you get a place for 300k and rent it out for $2100 a month it seems like a bad deal for cash flow.  Is it just me or does it seem like properties are overpriced given current state of interest rates... even if I got a 300k house that needs 30k in repairs and then say refinance and I'm at $1800 payment on a 30 yr at 6.5% with $66k into the property.   $2100 in rent and your still practically at break even cashflow.   Just seems like a crappy return for fixing up a property and then renting it out.  Am i missing something here?   

User Stats

Votes
Ari Shiffrin
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Tempe, AZ
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Tempe, AZ
Replied Jul 26 2022, 23:23

I see cash flow opportunities in Tempe regularly when I'm browsing the MLS for my clients, but they almost always require some creativity, at least if we're talking about strictly long term rentals. I have a perfect example of one on an active listing that I was working through with one my clients earlier today in fact. PM me and I'll share the details with you.

User Stats

Votes
Allen Wu
  • Rental Property Investor
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
Replied Jul 27 2022, 00:43
Quote from @Joey Chrisman:

Any property on mls in Tempe is 400k and above... even if you get a place for 300k and rent it out for $2100 a month it seems like a bad deal for cash flow.  Is it just me or does it seem like properties are overpriced given current state of interest rates... even if I got a 300k house that needs 30k in repairs and then say refinance and I'm at $1800 payment on a 30 yr at 6.5% with $66k into the property.   $2100 in rent and your still practically at break even cashflow.   Just seems like a crappy return for fixing up a property and then renting it out.  Am i missing something here?   

I do not invest or own in Tempe, but cash is tough across the board under current state. I chase A and B areas and frankly cash flow is non existence in my buy box now. I’m hoping a slight correction happens and interest rates drops back down. 
For now, I’m dollar cost averaging into private reits / syndications on debt side and more commercial real estate. SFH tough and on pause for me. 
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas L.
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Pittsburgh
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Pittsburgh
Replied Jul 27 2022, 06:28

@Joey Chrisman I don't know this specific market, but in general, that sounds right to me - MLS properties just generally don't cashflow right now.

User Stats

Votes
Ricardo Hidalgo
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
Replied Jul 27 2022, 14:08
Quote from @Joey Chrisman:

We have been in an appreciation based market due to limited supply and rents arent going to achieve the 1% rule even if you renovate the property. The best business model at the moment is moving capital with short term projects until we see more a balance and bigger drops in prices. 

User Stats

Votes
Andrew McGuire
  • Investor
  • Chandler, AZ
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Chandler, AZ
Replied Aug 6 2022, 15:02

@Joey Chrisman  

Its all about the criteria you are looking for and how you manage them. I'm looking for non HOA, ample parking, good areas, opportunity to split or add units. I also rent room by room or as STR. It has been tough but with prices dropping I'm seeing decent cashflow deals. Its more work but you can find cashflow for sure.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Sep 22 2022, 19:22

I think you are correct. Given the current environment, it is tough to get cash flow. I think waiting is probably a better option. IMO, we will continue to see corrections as rate increase.