Votes |
Banks have Season period how long

Christopher Leone
Pro Member
  • Monaca, PA
Posted Jul 29 2022, 20:03

Hello All

Buying house in cash and news rehab so 
I know that every bank has Season period I talk to a lot in my area they are saying 6month to 1 year does anyone know if there are any banks that will do less than 6months to 1 year??

Any help would be greatly appreciate 

Thanks

Chris

User Stats

Votes
David M.
  • Morris County, NJ
Votes |
  • Morris County, NJ
Replied Jul 29 2022, 20:29

@Christopher Leone

The seasoning period comes from the Fannie Mae guidelines requiring no transfers on the Title for 6 months.  So, any lender (bank, credit union, mortgage lender, etc.) thinking of selling you a conforming loan will have this problem.  You need a non-conforming loan so they won't try to sell the Note off to Fannie/Freddie/etc.  Generally, this is why its recommended that you work with a local/community/regional bank since they are more likely to make this sort of loan.   I've never done it so I don't have a list.

A different option would be delayed financing where you purchase in cash, then get the loan within 6mo based on the purchase price.  I'm guessing that won't work for you since you are rehabbing the property.

Sorry, I don't have a specific lender for you.  Oh, and be mindful that sometimes these small bank lending officers maybe new or not to bright about originating a non-conforming loan for you.  So, don't just try a single "bank" once, go to different office branches, if necessary.  Good luck.

User Stats

Votes
Nick Belsky
  • Residential and Commercial Broker
Votes |
  • Residential and Commercial Broker
Replied Aug 1 2022, 10:12

@Christopher Leone

Keep searching around or get a mortgage broker.  I work with clients all the time who buy in cash, then rehab, and cash out immediately up to 80LTV on the new value.  No seasoning required.  If you're not rehabbing, then 3 and 4 months seasoning are pretty standard too.

Cheers!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Eric Goldman
  • Lender
  • Pennsylvania
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Pennsylvania
Replied Aug 4 2022, 09:00

if you are buying in all cash and rehabbing in cash, seasoning should not be an issue