• Investor
  • houston, TX
Votes |
What should I do with an abandoned dog?

Masha Rizzi
  • Investor
  • houston, TX
Posted Aug 3 2022, 07:16

Does anyone have any tips on rehoming an older dog that was left behind?

I purchased a 3-plex a few months back and was waiting on all the tenant leases to end before starting the Renovations. One of them left a dog behind! Turns out the dog doesn't actually belong to any of them, but a past tenant who had passed away at some point. They all just took turns taking care of it.

So now there's an older black lab that is left behind... I've called some shelters and they're all full. I'm a big pet person so would really like to do the best thing for this dog and avoid dropping it off somewhere it would be put down or turned away. 

User Stats

Votes
Taylor L.
Pro Member
  • Multifamily and Self Storage Investor
  • Richmond, VA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Multifamily and Self Storage Investor
  • Richmond, VA
Replied Aug 3 2022, 08:02

I don't have a solution for you but wanted to tell you you're a good person and the world would be a better place if more people acted this way. Maybe local Facebook groups can help point you in a good direction?

User Stats

Votes
Tyler Solomon
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Replied Aug 3 2022, 08:04

Masha, credit to you for trying to do the right thing. I would recommend looking on Facebook groups within your area to see if someone is willing to take the dog in. Very sad situation - hoping the furry friend can find a good home!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Sergey A. Petrov
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Seattle, WA
Replied Aug 3 2022, 08:07

Try animal control and some local shelters. And depending on how far you want to go with it, your tenants adopted and then abandoned a pet. That is a crime in some jurisdictions 

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Thomas
Pro Member
  • Atlanta
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Atlanta
Replied Aug 5 2022, 05:49

I definitely agree with the suggestions about Facebook. :)

My home is in a rural-ish area, and people drop off unwanted dogs out here from time to time. We can't take them in, as we already have three doggos in our "pack", and the house is too small for any more long-term. We post the dogs, and within a couple of days, they are taken in. Most local areas have groups or individuals on Facebook who are willing to take in or temporarily shelter dogs until they can find permanent families for them. 

User Stats

Votes
Masha Rizzi
  • Investor
  • houston, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • houston, TX
Replied Aug 23 2022, 07:41

Thank you again everyone! We actually found a family to adopt from a BP facebook group! Jack traveled from TX to IL to join them!