• Investor
  • San Francisco Bay Area
Votes |
Looking for a flip contractor

Eric Petersen
  • Investor
  • San Francisco Bay Area
Posted Oct 28 2022, 15:50

Hello everyone.  I have several properties scattered in Vegas and Reno.  Yesterday I purchased another 2/1 condo (850sf) that needs to be fully rehabbed.  I have great contractors in Vegas but am struggling to find one in Reno and my guys don't know anyone in the Reno area.  Looking for someone that might flip their own properties when they can but takes projects on the side or works for a flipper or ....  Looking for a full demo of ground floor condo (tear out bathroom, carpet, kitchen, etc.), new LVP throughout, replace cabinets, appliances, paint and go.  I am going to rent it and I dont anticipate it taking too long given its size, but I need to find a couple of names to get bids.  I have one company but they seem to be retail contractors (vs rip and flip) and I always like to get two or three bids unless I really like/trust one of the bidders and then just go with them.  

If anyone is doing this kind of work or has a good name they are willing to share, it would be very much appreciated.  Things seem to be slowing in the area so I am hopeful that I can find someone to develop a long relationship and do this over and over again.  If anyone has peeps or suggestions, looking to hear from any and all.  

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Oct 29 2022, 08:17

What makes a contractor a investor friendly one? Price? Most will shoot you a super low number and ghost you or make change orders non stop. Make sure the contractor is crystal clear on your expectations and budget

User Stats

Votes
Eric Petersen
  • Investor
  • San Francisco Bay Area
Votes |
  • Investor
  • San Francisco Bay Area
Replied Oct 29 2022, 09:56

Yep. I have sent more than 1 contractor packing and most don’t want to share their “great ones” but I am hopeful with the slow down maybe I can keep their peeps busy during a lull. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Oct 29 2022, 20:47

Driving around neighborhoods with flip activity and walking in on the job is a good way to find a contractor. 1. you can see the quality and cleanliness of their work 2. you know they are busy 

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Postell
Lender
Pro Member
#1 Creative Real Estate Financing Contributor
  • Lender
  • Fort Worth, TX
Votes |
Lender
Pro Member
#1 Creative Real Estate Financing Contributor
  • Lender
  • Fort Worth, TX
Replied Oct 30 2022, 13:50

@Eric Petersen so if you know what you need, but just need it in a specific market I would suggest joining some Facebook groups.  Search for something like "Reno Real Estate Investor Group" or something to that effect and several pages will come up with thousands of people in them.  So lean on other local investors on who they are using and that usually is the best technique.  If another investor has already used them that's usually a good sign.  Nothing is guaranteed of course but it's better than googling them. 

Guaranteed Rate Logo

User Stats

Votes
Eric Petersen
  • Investor
  • San Francisco Bay Area
Votes |
  • Investor
  • San Francisco Bay Area
Replied Oct 30 2022, 14:10

As for driving and looking for activity, I am not in the area on a regular basis but I agree with the idea and concept. 

I had not thought about Facebook.  I am not a social media user really but that is a good idea.  Thanks

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
#2 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied Oct 30 2022, 14:13
Quote from @Eric Petersen:

Hello everyone.  I have several properties scattered in Vegas and Reno.  Yesterday I purchased another 2/1 condo (850sf) that needs to be fully rehabbed.  I have great contractors in Vegas but am struggling to find one in Reno and my guys don't know anyone in the Reno area.  Looking for someone that might flip their own properties when they can but takes projects on the side or works for a flipper or ....  Looking for a full demo of ground floor condo (tear out bathroom, carpet, kitchen, etc.), new LVP throughout, replace cabinets, appliances, paint and go.  I am going to rent it and I dont anticipate it taking too long given its size, but I need to find a couple of names to get bids.  I have one company but they seem to be retail contractors (vs rip and flip) and I always like to get two or three bids unless I really like/trust one of the bidders and then just go with them.  

If anyone is doing this kind of work or has a good name they are willing to share, it would be very much appreciated.  Things seem to be slowing in the area so I am hopeful that I can find someone to develop a long relationship and do this over and over again.  If anyone has peeps or suggestions, looking to hear from any and all.  

Simple, just go to the local RE group and connect with GC'S , other investors and PM co's 

User Stats

Votes
Eric Petersen
  • Investor
  • San Francisco Bay Area
Votes |
  • Investor
  • San Francisco Bay Area
Replied Oct 30 2022, 15:10

Local RE group?  Are you speaking about physically, social media, or?