Votes
Matt Kulpinski
Pro Member
Votes |
Looking to build an all-star team in San Antonio area

Matt Kulpinski
Pro Member
Posted Nov 7 2022, 18:06

Hi there - I'm a new investor looking to do BRRRRs in the San Antonio area to start. I'm currently looking to build a team of trusted all-stars and could use the help of the BiggerPockets network to leverage any referrals. If you have had an awesome experience with GCs, hard-money lenders, property managers, real estate agents, etc. I am looking for any recommendations! 

Regards,

Matt Kulpinski

User Stats

Votes
Joe S.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • San Antonio
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • San Antonio
Replied Nov 7 2022, 20:32

Do you want access to my bank account as well? Lol

On the bright side you should have quite a number of realtors say hi.

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Nov 7 2022, 21:09

Happy to connect you with a rock star realtor out there 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Faith Importico
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Philadelphia
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Philadelphia
Replied Nov 8 2022, 08:07

I know the perfect person to get you in touch with! My agent Alejandro in San Antonio is a powerhouse. He can help you build a team of any one you need. His number is 956-905-4654. Let him know Faith Importico from NW Philly sent you! Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Postell
Lender
Pro Member
#1 Creative Real Estate Financing Contributor
  • Lender
  • Fort Worth, TX
Votes |
Lender
Pro Member
#1 Creative Real Estate Financing Contributor
  • Lender
  • Fort Worth, TX
Replied Nov 8 2022, 08:17

@Matt Kulpinski thanks for posting!  Always great to hear from a fellow Texan.  @Betty Cruz and @Will Pritchett are both in San Antonio and are good people to know. I would also suggest to visit your local REI groups. There are several that meet in San Antonio. Some post here on the Bigger Pockets Marketplace. Many post on meetup.com. Even facebook will have some. Networking is always a great practice and you never know who you might meet there and what good information they have to share. Would certainly recommend visiting if one is close to you.

Guaranteed Rate Logo

User Stats

Votes
Scott Mac
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Austin, TX
Replied Nov 8 2022, 08:51

Hi Matt,

The only place I've had an "awesome experience" was the Wynn Hotel in Las Vegas when it first opened.

With Real Estate people, I've found just smooth water (gets the job done), and avoid those who sink.

A crew who demos your kitchen and puts in new cabinets...I don't see how this can be awesome..Cabinets are either on time and on budget or not.

IMO (seminar slang meets reality).

Maybe instead be careful to avoid "those who are troublesome".

You want people who can "do their job" with a minimal about of PITA to you, and follow through and "Get er' done" on time and on budget.

Sir it will be $500 to demo that kitchen, then they come back 1/4 of the way through and say due to unforeseen circumstances me and the crew will be missing for 10 days and not return your calls<<--is something you would want to avoid. Then when they do came back they have set your schedule back 2 weeks (2 weeks of lost income from rentals that you must out of pocket pay for), and they leave all of the old cabinets in the back yard in a huge pile  (for you to burn--they say).

On time and on budget is something that is "your friend".

Looking for "Awesome" on top of that...I have no idea what that means...shine your shoes for free, Paint the exterior for free as a a surprise (???)

IMO (seminar slang that could cloud your judgement about getting the contacts you need to be successful).

And that's from boots on the ground.

Just my 2 cents.

User Stats

Votes
Alex Bekeza
Lender
  • Lender
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Nov 8 2022, 11:59

@JD Kumala runs an impressive wholesale operation in San Antonio.  

User Stats

Votes
Replied Nov 8 2022, 12:22

Appreciate the shout, @Alex Bekeza

@Matt Kulpinski - Give me a ring if you'd like to connect. I've done several BRRRRs in San Antonio as well.

User Stats

Votes
Brad Larsen
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • San Antonio and Austin, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • San Antonio and Austin, TX
Replied Nov 9 2022, 12:15

Hi Matt, we are happy to help! We manage in and around the San Antonio and Austin area. Happy to connect if you have any questions on local PM companies. We are fully transparent with all pricing online, no secrets here! I would recommend you start your search on the NARPM website and then check out the Google reviews. Happy hunting!

User Stats

Votes
Mitchell Kennedy
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Replied Nov 9 2022, 13:29

I am a realtor specializing in real estate investment here in the Austin area. Would love to connect with you if you expand into this market!

User Stats

Votes
Abraham Rodriguez
  • Contractor
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied Nov 15 2022, 19:17

Hey matt I’ve worked in the hvac industry for about 3years now and have had the opportunity to meet some other tradesmen and I’d be happy to lend a hand when and if you need it. 

User Stats

Votes
Eric Fernwood
  • Realtor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied Nov 17 2022, 13:13

Hello @Matt Kulpinski,

Well done. A good local investment team will save you time, money, and risk.

The place to start is by finding an investment Realtor. You can then leverage your investment realtor’s network for other team members.

Note that an investment realtor is not a residential or "investor-friendly" realtor, who will only provide MLS data sheets. MLS data sheets are almost useless to investors. Below is a comparison between what an MLS data sheet provides and what an investor needs.

Only an investment realtor, who is part of a team, can provide everything you need. Finding an Investor realtor is not easy. The challenge is selecting a good investment realtor from an ocean of residential realtors. Where can you search for candidates?

• Property managers
  • Real estate investing websites
  • Local investors
  • Talk to real estate brokers
  • Google searches
  • Local meetups
  • Online reviews

Once you have candidates, evaluate each candidate using the flow chart below. If a candidate fails even one question, eliminate them from consideration.

If a candidate passes all the above, you can be assured they know what they are doing. Also, an investment realtor and team will cost you no more than a residential realtor.

You mentioned a problem with a contractor. Only a good local investment team can solve this problem. Here is the issue. No matter how large your renovation is to you, it is a small job to the contractor. So, they only work on your job if they have nothing else to do. The only leverage you have is your team. In our case, the renovation company we work with gets 5 to 10 jobs each month. They know they have to do all our jobs well, large or small, or they lose all of our business.

There is another renovation consideration, and I cannot emphasize the following enough. Unless you have someone experienced in construction and managing people, go on-site at least every other day, your job will take a long time to complete, the quality will be poor, and the price will go up. Renovation over-watch is critical. Check any potential investment team for this capability.

User Stats

Votes
Matt Kulpinski
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Nov 17 2022, 15:29

This is golden advice, thank you!

User Stats

Votes
Wale Lawal#3 House Hacking Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX
Replied Nov 17 2022, 19:23

@Matt Kulpinski

Building a team is a gradual process and you should not hurry on it.

Connect with as many professionals as you can and understand their functioning ways.

Start with learning the process and understanding the local market.

I am a real estate agent and investor in the Austin, Houston and Dallas market.

Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Apr 29 2023, 07:06
Quote from @Eric Fernwood:

Hello @Matt Kulpinski,

Well done. A good local investment team will save you time, money, and risk.

The place to start is by finding an investment Realtor. You can then leverage your investment realtor’s network for other team members.

Note that an investment realtor is not a residential or "investor-friendly" realtor, who will only provide MLS data sheets. MLS data sheets are almost useless to investors. Below is a comparison between what an MLS data sheet provides and what an investor needs.

Only an investment realtor, who is part of a team, can provide everything you need. Finding an Investor realtor is not easy. The challenge is selecting a good investment realtor from an ocean of residential realtors. Where can you search for candidates?

• Property managers
  • Real estate investing websites
  • Local investors
  • Talk to real estate brokers
  • Google searches
  • Local meetups
  • Online reviews

Once you have candidates, evaluate each candidate using the flow chart below. If a candidate fails even one question, eliminate them from consideration.

If a candidate passes all the above, you can be assured they know what they are doing. Also, an investment realtor and team will cost you no more than a residential realtor.

You mentioned a problem with a contractor. Only a good local investment team can solve this problem. Here is the issue. No matter how large your renovation is to you, it is a small job to the contractor. So, they only work on your job if they have nothing else to do. The only leverage you have is your team. In our case, the renovation company we work with gets 5 to 10 jobs each month. They know they have to do all our jobs well, large or small, or they lose all of our business.

There is another renovation consideration, and I cannot emphasize the following enough. Unless you have someone experienced in construction and managing people, go on-site at least every other day, your job will take a long time to complete, the quality will be poor, and the price will go up. Renovation over-watch is critical. Check any potential investment team for this capability.

Love this advice!   Thank you.  
A fellow veteran and I are looking to invest in  multi-families (Houston-San Antonio).  We will require this caliber of professionalism to succeed 

User Stats

Votes
Cody L.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • San Diego, Ca
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • San Diego, Ca
Replied Apr 29 2023, 11:40
Quote from @Joe S.:

Do you want access to my bank account as well? Lol

On the bright side you should have quite a number of realtors say hi.

Whoa, you called it...

User Stats

Votes
Replied Apr 30 2023, 13:41

Hey OP, I’m out of state and fairly new to RE but looking to break the ice as a private investor.  How far along are you with getting a solid team.  Any strong leads with properties?  

User Stats

Votes
Jordan Moorhead
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Replied May 1 2023, 08:49

@Matt Kulpinski we have a solid BRRRR team in San Antonio

The Moorhead Team Logo

User Stats