Votes |
Financing with Family via an STR BRRRR

Christin Prince
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Hendersonville, NC
Posted Nov 23 2022, 14:33

Hi everyone,

We are going to purchase a house w/ my mom and would like some recommendations on how to best structure the deal. Given it's the holidays I can't call my CPA and lawyer right now, so in the interim hoping some of you all will need a break from family, be perusing Bigger Pockets and be graciously inclined to answer :) 

Price of house $375k

Renovation Costs Approx $200k

ARV $700k

We have enough to do the initial purchase in cash from my mom and money in a HELOC for the renovations from me and my husband. Therefore, based on conversations w/ my CPA in order to write-off the renovations, we (or one of us?) need to be on the title. The plan is to refinance to get as much cash back out as possible and we have a mortgage lender lined up and ready to go. My goal upon financing with the bank in my name, is to pay my mom back the $375k purchase price plus give her $20k as interest. Then whatever other cash from financing we pay back as much of the HELOC as we can. Doing this also, to ensure she only pays taxes on the $20k not the $375k.

First question, If my mom and husband were on the title as tenancy in common, after the renovations could they then "sell" it to me via a bank loan, sooner than 6 months post purchase (the waiting period I have heard banks require for you to refinance and I think finance a house if your name is on the title). My broker says I can qualify without my husband's income.  

Second, as for how the title is put into both names (whether it be mom/husband or mom/me), I read about tenancy in common but it always seems like it's a % ownership of the house. Is that true or can it be a flat amount each person "owns" and therefore is given upon sale? If it has to be a percentage, then can she be 99% and we 1% initially, so the bulk of her repayment is via purchase of the house and ours is mostly renovations and THEN before we sell, we change that percentage to equal the flat amounts we want each to get? All of this legally documented of course and how long does it take to change this and does it have to be filed with the county before processing the new title / closing documents?

Thank you all for listening and offering any advice possible and Happy Thanksgiving!

Cheers,

Christin

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas L.
Pro Member
#1 Starting Out Contributor
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Pittsburgh
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Starting Out Contributor
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Pittsburgh
Replied Nov 24 2022, 04:38

@Christin Prince

setting aside all of your questions for a second - have you done a rehab of this scope before?

if you truly get an ARV of 700, then you'll likely be able to refi out 490 to 525 - but less purchase costs, holding costs, refi costs, etc.

so you could end up leaving 80-120k in the deal...

is that something you're prepared / able to do?

User Stats

Votes
Michael Evans
Pro Member
  • General Contractor
  • Palm Desert, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • General Contractor
  • Palm Desert, CA
Replied Nov 24 2022, 05:23

Be very carful when doing business with family. If there are any misunderstandings along the way, you could permanently damage your relationships.

Make sure everything is in writing, understood and signed by all parties. Have the paperwork done by a good Real Estate attorney.

Good Luck!

NREIG  logo
NREIG
|
Sponsored
Customizable insurance coverage with a program that’s easy to use Add, edit, and remove properties from your account any time with no minimum-earned premiums.

User Stats

Votes
Robin Simon#1 Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice Contributor
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Robin Simon#1 Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice Contributor
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Replied Nov 24 2022, 05:27
Quote from @Michael Evans:

Be very carful when doing business with family. If there are any misunderstandings along the way, you could permanently damage your relationships.

Make sure everything is in writing, understood and signed by all parties. Have the paperwork done by a good Real Estate attorney.

Good Luck!

I agree with this advice. Might be better to just get an LLC formed with the management, ownership interests, everything spelled out and have title vested to the LLC rather than all of these hoops which in my experience is just asking for trouble

User Stats

Votes
Christin Prince
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Hendersonville, NC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Hendersonville, NC
Replied Nov 24 2022, 06:46
Quote from @Nicholas L.:

@Christin Prince

setting aside all of your questions for a second - have you done a rehab of this scope before?

if you truly get an ARV of 700, then you'll likely be able to refi out 490 to 525 - but less purchase costs, holding costs, refi costs, etc.

so you could end up leaving 80-120k in the deal...

is that something you're prepared / able to do?

Hello @Nicholas L 

Thank you for the reply and question! Yes I have done a renovation this large essentially house hacking my primary. My primary was $192k on a $535k purchase price of a 4.1k sq ft home in 2021. 6 months later we were able to cash out refi $160k to cover the initial renovation and then one year later get another $168k HELOC on the property with 95% LTV. Obviously, we won't be seeing the kind of growth in appreciation we previously had so this new property would be one shot for at least the next 1-3 years to get the money back out and repay the HELOC.

The realtor is actually projecting $750-$800k ARV but I think that is high. The loan is 15% down per mortgage broker. The Gross Rev from AirDNA on this property is $100k gross / $71k NOI which has proved accurate with our other STR 15 min away. So even with the additional $80-$100k HELOC payment we should still be profitable until we can either get more money out with a later refi or continue to chip away personally with profits / personal funds / another investor who wants a second position on the house.

Would love your further feedback b/c #1 we are not 100% sold on the property as we know values and STR rents are likely to go down. What I have seen via video the renovations shouldn't be $200k but closer to $150k, but we hope to see it this weekend to confirm / deny. Thank you!

User Stats

Votes
Christin Prince
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Hendersonville, NC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Hendersonville, NC
Replied Nov 24 2022, 06:46

Good Luck!

thank you!

User Stats

Votes
Christin Prince
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Hendersonville, NC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Hendersonville, NC
Replied Nov 24 2022, 06:48
Quote from @Robin Simon:

Good Luck!

I agree with this advice. Might be better to just get an LLC formed with the management, ownership interests, everything spelled out and have title vested to the LLC rather than all of these hoops which in my experience is just asking for trouble

Thank you! that was one avenue we were considering as well. Wondering the difference between LLC and solid contract from real estate attorney? especially if my mom would prefer the cash that she gets back out not continue to live in the LLC but her personal account.