• New to Real Estate
  • Redlands, Ca
Votes |
29 Palms, California

Natanya Vidales
  • New to Real Estate
  • Redlands, Ca
Posted Dec 20 2021, 08:14

Hi there is anyone investing in 29 Palms,California. I am looking into this area because it seems to be the only place with affordable properties. Is anyone else thinking of investing or already investing in this area. I would like to connect and get a little information. Potential for population growth? Job growth rate? Is it just a desolated desert or is there anything cool out there? How are property taxes? Is it hard to find employment?

User Stats

Votes
Chris Carr
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Huntington Beach, CA
Votes |
  • Huntington Beach, CA
Replied Dec 20 2021, 08:46

Hi Natanya I provided a short write up about the hi-desert and specifically 29palms on this thread: 

https://www.biggerpockets.com/...

User Stats

Votes
Jayson Cain
  • Lender
  • Manhattan Beach, CA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Manhattan Beach, CA
Replied Dec 20 2021, 08:47

@Natanya Vidales I work with investors in the area. They pick this market over Yucca Valley and Joshua Tree because it is more affordable and the regulation for STRs are more lax compared to the two other markets nearby. The only challenge right now is the availability of certain vendors in the area since they are all busy. If you have your own crew working on projects, then you'll do well in this market. 

Happy to help if you have any questions about Hi Desert or Southern California at all. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Chris Carr
  • Huntington Beach, CA
Votes |
  • Huntington Beach, CA
Replied Dec 20 2021, 08:51

BTW new updates in addition to what I mentioned in that post, a new shipping container boutique hotel is being built called Wander Hotel / another trendy new restaurant is coming in from Landers, they bought out the building of an old Chinese restaurant. Also, a new restaurant called "Kitchen Witches"
Bird scooters are going in
I've been following the local gov't and TBID "https://www.ci.twentynine-palm..." very closely, I, and many locals, agents and investors I've spoke to, have come to the conclusion the city is pro-development, their goal is to make it a very strong tourist destination. 

User Stats

Votes
Chris Carr
  • Huntington Beach, CA
Votes |
  • Huntington Beach, CA
Replied Dec 20 2021, 08:53

Good point @Jayson Cain I have contacts for trades if you get to that point. 

User Stats

Votes
Chris Carr
  • Huntington Beach, CA
Votes |
  • Huntington Beach, CA
Replied Dec 20 2021, 19:57

You might be interested in the new info on their downtown plan https://www.ci.twentynine-palm...

User Stats

Votes
Natanya Vidales
  • New to Real Estate
  • Redlands, Ca
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Redlands, Ca
Replied Dec 20 2021, 21:09

Wow thanks for all the great information @Chris Carr. I definitely found it useful. I was a little nervous to relocate out there but after reading all the plans I feel a lot better. It seems the city is also very STR friendly so that's great. Seems like population growth and job growth are to be expected. I do have some questions about the water meters, being connected to SCE for power, and the septic systems. What do I need to look out for exactly? What is allowed for Air bnb and what is not in compliance with the guidelines?

@Chris Carr

User Stats

Votes
Natanya Vidales
  • New to Real Estate
  • Redlands, Ca
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Redlands, Ca
Replied Dec 20 2021, 21:12

Thank you @Jayson Cain I would need to find a crew as I do not have a general contractor yet. 

User Stats

Votes
Peter Mckernan
  • Residential Real Estate Agent
  • Irvine, CA
Votes |
  • Irvine, CA
Replied Dec 21 2021, 17:21

@Natanya Vidales I would take a look at Joshua Tree Short Term Rental page on FB for more information on handyman services, landscaping, licensed contractors, cleaners and more. I have worked with multiple clients out there and this page gives a lot of information.  

• Real Estate Agent Ca (#01968986)

The McKernan Group Logo

User Stats

Votes
Natanya Vidales
  • New to Real Estate
  • Redlands, Ca
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Redlands, Ca
Replied Dec 21 2021, 17:32

Thank you @Peter Mckernan

User Stats

Votes
Jason Kudo
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Pasadena, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Pasadena, CA
Replied Dec 27 2021, 15:22

@Natanya Vidales

Just be careful when choosing to purchase in 29 Palms. 29 Palms is affected by the winds more than JT and YV are and if your agent doesn’t know what’s up, you’ll end up buying in a giant dust bowl.

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
#3 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied Dec 27 2021, 15:25
Originally posted by @Natanya Vidales:

I am looking into this area because it seems to be the only place with affordable properties.

The only place in California? 

User Stats

Votes
Natanya Vidales
  • New to Real Estate
  • Redlands, Ca
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Redlands, Ca
Replied Jan 12 2022, 08:27

Yes in Southern California. Due to my income the preapproval is probably going to be around 265K. So all I could find rural area was 29 Palms and Yucca Valley.  @Bruce Woodruff 

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied Jan 12 2022, 08:47
Originally posted by @Natanya Vidales:

Yes in Southern California. Due to my income the preapproval is probably going to be around 265K. So all I could find rural area was 29 Palms and Yucca Valley.  @Bruce Woodruff 

Why not go across the border into AZ or NV?

User Stats

Votes
Natanya Vidales
  • New to Real Estate
  • Redlands, Ca
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Redlands, Ca
Replied Jan 12 2022, 09:22

I am open to it this is my first time purchasing a home so I am not sure how that works with pre approvals. I am getting pre approval for a USDA loan @Bruce Woodruff

User Stats

Votes
Harsh Garg
  • Investor
  • Irvine, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Irvine, CA
Replied Jul 19 2022, 09:05

I am an RE investor based out in Orange County, however new to STR, I am looking to buy my 1st STR in Joshua Tree, YV or the 29 Palms area in next 60 days. Any investor-friendly agent recommendation?

User Stats

Votes
Peter Mckernan
  • Irvine, CA
Votes |
  • Irvine, CA
Replied Jul 19 2022, 09:39
Quote from @Harsh Garg:

I am an RE investor based out in Orange County, however new to STR, I am looking to buy my 1st STR in Joshua Tree, YV or the 29 Palms area in next 60 days. Any investor-friendly agent recommendation?

So, 29 palms has ended their STR program (capped at 500 homes permitted but they are al little more now). The city unless the changed the program the last 30 days do not allow transfer of the STR permit.

For the Yucca, Landers, and JT areas San Bernardino County put a moratorium until the end of this morning, they are fixing their language and supposes to be lifting that by end of July (this has not changed as of now).  I live in OC as well, you can PM me as well for other questions about that area. 

• Real Estate Agent Ca (#01968986)

The McKernan Group Logo

User Stats

Votes
Replied Nov 22 2022, 13:39

@Chris Carr I have noticed very sound information coming from you.  I am from Huntington Beach and looking to invest in 29 Palms.  My wife and I both believe it is a hidden gem that will continue to grow.  Phoenix Project, community pool, JTree Headquarters, Military Base.  

Do you have any updated knowledge on the subject?

A good agent that you trust out there?

Which do you think is best.....?  A little flipped desert bungalow or an "actual house" out there? 

STR or LTR are definitely in the cards but we are just trying to get our feet wet here and invest! Have to start somewhere!

User Stats

Votes
Chris Carr
  • Huntington Beach, CA
Votes |
  • Huntington Beach, CA
Replied Nov 22 2022, 15:20
Quote from @Garrett Hay:

@Chris Carr I have noticed very sound information coming from you.  I am from Huntington Beach and looking to invest in 29 Palms.  My wife and I both believe it is a hidden gem that will continue to grow.  Phoenix Project, community pool, JTree Headquarters, Military Base.  

Do you have any updated knowledge on the subject?

A good agent that you trust out there?

Which do you think is best.....?  A little flipped desert bungalow or an "actual house" out there? 

STR or LTR are definitely in the cards but we are just trying to get our feet wet here and invest! Have to start somewhere!

Hey thanks for reaching out shoot me a DM and I’m happy to share any information with you. In regards to STR’s you’re going to be up against the 500 cap I think the cap has been hit so they’re not issuing any more permits but I posted somewhere else that I was at a city Council meeting back in September and the mayor specifically said she wants to bring the entire VHR policy back to the Council for review. It is my opinion that they realize that doing a hard Cap as opposed to a percentage of the housing stock hurts them on revenue from permits and  TOT revenue granted they are also approving hotels but the big thing is the permit revenue because the percentage instead of the hard cap creates incentive for people to buy lots and build so that they can keep moving the goalposts that’s all good for the city . whether that percentage is 8% 9% 12% we don’t know we’ll have to see what they say when they bring it back to council

User Stats

Votes
Replied Nov 22 2022, 15:51

@Chris Carr Thank you!  I will reach out. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 23 2023, 10:35

Hey everyone! What's the latest buzz on investing in 29 Palms for STR? I talked to a real estate agent a few months ago and he mentioned it was a good idea to buy outside the city limits as they don't have nearly as many regulations as in 29 Palms proper.