Local Real Estate Networking

User Stats

Votes
Seth Baumgartner
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Florida State, FL
Votes |
In your opinion, what areas would you invest in Florida and why?

Seth Baumgartner
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Florida State, FL
Posted Jul 27 2022, 03:55

Currently working in Cape Canaveral, Florida and Technically homeless till I can buy my first investment.

What are your thoughts on the state of Florida?

User Stats

Votes
Michael K Gallagher#3 Commercial Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus OH
Replied Jul 27 2022, 04:54

If I were to buy an investment there it would mainly be in Ft. Lauderdale, but that is mostly because its the only place I've actually been down there for a long enough time to have feeling for a market at all.  But it is a great vacation rental area, strong condo market, and plenty of luxury as well, so there is some flexibility to strategy there too.   

User Stats

Votes
Dalton King
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Melbourne, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Melbourne, FL
Replied Jul 27 2022, 04:59

Florida has many great areas to invest! Depending on what you are looking to do will tell you whether you should stick around here to invest.

I am an investor and realtor from Brevard. I am homeless too at the moment looking for my first deal lol. I'd love to chat with ya!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Chris Levarek
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Syndicator
  • Phoenix, AZ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Syndicator
  • Phoenix, AZ
Replied Jul 27 2022, 07:08

@Seth Baumgartner Florida is one of the top markets for real estate investors due to pop growth, rental growth and overall landlord friendly policy. It is also a top choice for vacation, so vacation rentals thrive. This being said, we are at the top of the market and many prices in Florida reflect as much. If you can find the right property, there is still opportunity for LTR and STR.

I wrote this post earlier in the year, but see how many times Florida pops up. https://www.biggerpockets.com/...

@Michael K Gallagher June 2022 had a 23% drop in occupancy for vacation rentals in Ft. Lauderdale. :( We shall see what July brings but oversupply is the issue.

User Stats

Votes
Ricardo Hidalgo
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
Replied Jul 27 2022, 14:06
Quote from @Seth Baumgartner:

Currently working in Cape Canaveral, Florida and Technically homeless till I can buy my first investment.

Navarre, Mary Esther, Niceville, Freeport for long term: 

Nearby military bases, beach, sound, tons of government personal and job growth, commercial businesses coming into the area, good margin for rentals, flips and construction, landlocked area with limited land. 

Destin to Panama City beach for short term rentals: 

Strong tourism and beautiful beaches, feeder market that makes it easy for people to travel down to emerald coast (airports), tons of gentrification and construction, high affluence, limited land, you can only short term on the south side of highway 98, family oriented and safe. 

User Stats

Votes
Jossalyn Wallace
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Destin, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Destin, FL
Replied Jul 27 2022, 14:47

What Ricardo said! Our area has great returns and many approaches you can take from an investment standpoint. 

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Pillow
  • Realtor
  • Destin, Fl
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Destin, Fl
Replied Jul 28 2022, 15:51
Quote from @Ricardo Hidalgo:
Quote from @Seth Baumgartner:

Navarre, Mary Esther, Niceville, Freeport for long term: 

Nearby military bases, beach, sound, tons of government personal and job growth, commercial businesses coming into the area, good margin for rentals, flips and construction, landlocked area with limited land. 

Destin to Panama City beach for short term rentals: 

Strong tourism and beautiful beaches, feeder market that makes it easy for people to travel down to emerald coast (airports), tons of gentrification and construction, high affluence, limited land, you can only short term on the south side of highway 98, family oriented and safe. 

This is the best summary for understanding the different investment strategies depending on the area. I'm going to just make it a canned response whenever someone ask's me about the area. I'll add that local government regulation towards STRs in the areas south of 98 is friendly and stabilized compared to other metro markets facing challenges. 

User Stats

Votes
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus OH
Replied Jul 29 2022, 07:07
Quote from @Chris Levarek:

@Seth Baumgartner Florida is one of the top markets for real estate investors due to pop growth, rental growth and overall landlord friendly policy. It is also a top choice for vacation, so vacation rentals thrive. This being said, we are at the top of the market and many prices in Florida reflect as much. If you can find the right property, there is still opportunity for LTR and STR.

I wrote this post earlier in the year, but see how many times Florida pops up. https://www.biggerpockets.com/...

@Michael K Gallagher June 2022 had a 23% drop in occupancy for vacation rentals in Ft. Lauderdale. :( We shall see what July brings but oversupply is the issue.

@Chris Levarek thanks for the insights, that is honestly refreshing to hear about short term rentals, Thats an area of real estate that needs a little shake up in my opinion.  A little hardship to weed out who is really committed to it and committed to operating well is probably what it needs.