Votes
Dan Host
  • Brunswick, GA
Votes |
Anyone in Coastal Georgia/Jacksonville?

Dan Host
  • Brunswick, GA
Posted Aug 9 2022, 15:22

Is anyone here from the coastal Georgia or Jacksonville area? I'm new to the scene (even though I've been a BP member for a long time), but I've done some research, and I'm ready to start making something happen.

I'm looking to (hopefully) BRRR to build the portfolio, and flip when I need cash.

I'm actually in Brunswick, which is right next to St. Simon's and Jekyll Islands.

Who's near me? Anyone can chime in, I'll hopefully need a team real soon!

User Stats

Votes
Dean Mitchell
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Brunswick, GA
Votes |
  • Brunswick, GA
Replied Aug 9 2022, 20:42

Hi Dan- I'm Dean, and I lived in Brunswick from 2003 until I retired in June of 2021.It's nice to meet you.

I have been in the real estate  in Brunswick as a business since 2012.And we also lived in Jacksonville for 12 years

Are you from the Brunswick area or are you new to Brunswick?

later,

Dean

User Stats

Votes
Dan Host
  • Brunswick, GA
Votes |
  • Brunswick, GA
Replied Aug 10 2022, 09:04

@Dean Mitchell Pleasure to meet you too! I moved here about a year ago, from Colorado Springs....RE investing is SUPER popular out there and I figured I might give it a shot here. Do you still own properties out here?

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Dean Mitchell
  • Brunswick, GA
Votes |
  • Brunswick, GA
Replied Aug 10 2022, 09:49

Hey yes, I still have a rental in oak grove and am holding paper on the remaining three.

We sold my residence and a rental in order to get a mortgage in Colorado Springs.

LOL, we both went in opposite directions.

best,

Deam

User Stats

Votes
Dan Host
  • Brunswick, GA
Votes |
  • Brunswick, GA
Replied Aug 10 2022, 18:35

@Dean Mitchell That's too funny! Yep, I lived in Old Colorado City. Sold my house, inadvertently, to a BP member and he's making a killing off of it! What part of the Springs did you all move to?

What do you think would be the smart move? Downtown Brunswick, south of Gloucester. It seems to be getting a pretty good head of steam with the rehabs. Or somewhere up by Harry Driggers to try to get the FLETC folks? I might be able to get two places downtown if i go small.

Any other bits of wisdom/advice you might have? I don't know what I don't know, ya know?

Thanks again for reaching out. I really do appreciate it.

User Stats

Votes
Raymond Bachmann
  • Realtor
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Replied Aug 11 2022, 04:41

Morning Dan!

I lived in Jacksonville at the beach for 21 years before moving to Colorado Springs and doing real estate. It's exciting to hear you are almost ready to get your team together! Let me know if there's anything I can help with! I have realtors I can vouch for in Jacksonville, Nassau County, and Gainesville. I know two great lenders in Jacksonville as well. Once you reach that FL-GA border, my network is slim. But in NE FL we can help you with anything brother!

User Stats

Votes
Dean Mitchell
  • Brunswick, GA
Votes |
  • Brunswick, GA
Replied Aug 11 2022, 09:30

I live in Gold Hill Mesa. Just the road from. Old Colorado City.

I always invested in pretty houses and had a long term view for the appreciation. If that is your investing strategy then i would go for Harry Driggers for the appreciation play. If your a fix and flip, then downtown is a good place to get started as the price points are lower. It really just depends on you investment strategy.

User Stats

Votes
Dan Host
  • Brunswick, GA
Votes |
  • Brunswick, GA
Replied Aug 11 2022, 19:43

@Raymond Bachmann Thanks for reaching out! I will absolutely reach out if I need some help, appreciate it! Hope you're enjoying the Springs. I'm sure missing that weather right about now.

User Stats

Votes
Dan Host
  • Brunswick, GA
Votes |
  • Brunswick, GA
Replied Aug 11 2022, 19:48

@Dean Mitchell Yes sir, my plan is to hopefully be able to flip one or two, to build up some reserves. Then try to BRRRR as many as I can. Depending on what the market does, I may have to change with it, of course.

Did you ever do any renting to FLETC folks? I heard they get a decent housing allowance.

User Stats

Votes
Dan Host
  • Brunswick, GA
Votes |
  • Brunswick, GA
Replied Aug 11 2022, 19:52

@Raymond Bachmann Do you know any areas in Jacksonville that might be good for finding a fix and flip, a C class neighborhood, working it's way towards B class? I haven't spent much time down there yet.

User Stats

Votes
Raymond Bachmann
  • Realtor
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Replied Aug 12 2022, 04:03

One of the agents and college buddies I was referring to does fix n flips throughout affordable areas of Jacksonville and is also working on a multi-family development. Please DM me and I'd be happy to pass on his contact info. In the meantime, Mayport, FL literally across the street from Atlantic Beach, FL is a diamond in the rough and many people still live in mayport because it is one of the last affordable places to live in "Jax beach"

User Stats

Votes
Dean Mitchell
  • Brunswick, GA
Votes |
  • Brunswick, GA
Replied Aug 12 2022, 08:44

yes, I have rented to FLETC folks. They wee wonderful tenants!!

If they are on a 2 year assignment then they will get per diem. 

So I would highly recommend getting FLETC tenants if you can.

Cheers,

Dean

User Stats

Votes
Dan Host
  • Brunswick, GA
Votes |
  • Brunswick, GA
Replied Aug 13 2022, 10:09

@Dean Mitchell That's what I've heard, and that's a nice deal!

Did you ever deal with any wholesalers here?

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Dean Mitchell
  • Brunswick, GA
Votes |
  • Brunswick, GA
Replied Aug 13 2022, 11:53

No I haven't, my investment strategy was to buy and hold.