• Tampa, FL
Votes |
Reliable general contractor in Tampa

Andre Crabb
  • Investor
  • Tampa, FL
Posted Aug 22 2022, 17:26

Hey BP,

I have a detached garage with plumbing that I want to finish converting to an ADU.

Can anyone recommend a reliable general contractor in Tampa?

I need to add a shower, reroute some plumbing, maybe electrical, and redo a wall in the interior.

I’m going to need some permits.

Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Lucie Tighe
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Aug 23 2022, 09:37

You can check Garrett Lind, Lind Construction if you're looking for high quality work.

User Stats

Votes
Kristina Kuba
Pro Member
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Aug 23 2022, 11:47

@Andre Crabb

I would recommend separating the architect / draftsmanship from the contractor. In all my personal experience of flips and BRRR, the contractor has too much financial and completion time control over your project if you combine the two.

You should hire an architect/ draftsman to form the blueprint showing the new electrical, plumbing and HVAC. The architect can go ahead and submit the plans on Tampa’s online Accela and carry it all the way till the plans are approved. It makes it much easier and holds them accountable.

Then once you have approved plans, it is much easier to shop around for multiple estimates because the GC will know in writing exactly what they have to do and the plans they execute. Also there will be less delays because now they are just responsible for getting through inspections and not getting ‘permits’.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Andre Crabb
  • Investor
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Aug 24 2022, 06:14
Quote from @Kristina Kuba:

@Andre Crabb

I would recommend separating the architect / draftsmanship from the contractor. In all my personal experience of flips and BRRR, the contractor has too much financial and completion time control over your project if you combine the two.

You should hire an architect/ draftsman to form the blueprint showing the new electrical, plumbing and HVAC. The architect can go ahead and submit the plans on Tampa’s online Accela and carry it all the way till the plans are approved. It makes it much easier and holds them accountable.

Then once you have approved plans, it is much easier to shop around for multiple estimates because the GC will know in writing exactly what they have to do and the plans they execute. Also there will be less delays because now they are just responsible for getting through inspections and not getting ‘permits’.

Thanks for that Kristina! I like the sound of that.

Follow up question then...where would I find a good architect / draftsman?

User Stats

Votes
Kristina Kuba
Pro Member
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Aug 24 2022, 06:18

I think your best bet for architects is Google

And for general contracts I have found some good ones on the “Thumbtack” iphone app