Networking at your School?

6 Replies

Hello. I am currently in my last semester at a private christian school in Nashville. I've always known I should network with people there, but I never actually considered it until someone told me they could be potential private money lenders. My questions is: How would I approach them, and what are somethings I should say? If anyone knows a specific faculty member of a school that is the most busy and has the most money, that would help! I'm not a shy guy, but I do want to go about it the right way. Thanks in advance!

@Peter Shafik I don't think your in the position to pitch to the faculty. I'm all for networking but unless you already have a pretty good relationship with them and talk often, I would probably be against it, atleast until you've graduated. Network with your classmates, they will be the ones you have the higher possibility of running into again. 

Do you have a faculty adviser? (I did when I went to school.)

Tell you adviser you're interested in exploring real estate (keep it vague at first) and ask for advice. Interview for information, not for a job or for financing. One thing will lead to another eventually.

Originally posted by @Peter Shafik :

Hello. I am currently in my last semester at a private christian school in Nashville. I've always known I should network with people there, but I never actually considered it until someone told me they could be potential private money lenders. My questions is: How would I approach them, and what are somethings I should say? If anyone knows a specific faculty member of a school that is the most busy and has the most money, that would help! I'm not a shy guy, but I do want to go about it the right way. Thanks in advance!

STEM majors will be the ones that graduate and ramp up their income the soonest. 

There are of course doctors and lawyers getting their grad degrees, but they are graduating with $200k in student loan debt and will want to nuke that before investing in real estate, typically.

@Chris Mason I'll b definitely talk to some friends whom have already been accepted to medical school. Great thought! I typically think that students here won't get the full grasp of investing in real estate (because otherwise they would do that instead. After all, I switched from premed to REI hahaha).

@Roger Steciak I'm actually pretty close with most of the staff and faculty. I already told them about my interest in REI. I could subtly nugde them by saying something like, "I like to help people retire early" but most of them love what they do.